Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Getting on top of things

Boston United 1-2 AFC Telford United

FA Trophy

Despite a rousing second half performance Boston United were knocked out of the FA Trophy by Conference North high-flyers AFC Telford United. Defender Matt Bloomer returned to the Boston starting line-up after serving a three match suspension. Wes Parker was out with illness and his fellow suffering brother Liam was only well enough to take a place on the substitutes' bench. Boston almost took the lead in the 10th minute when a long range shot by Steve Melton was saved. Further shots by David Farrell and Ollie Ryan were also close. Eighteen year old Mitchell Griffiths was brought on after 25 minutes to replace Tom Matthews who had been injured. Telford then got a penalty when Farrell brought down Lee Moore, but Martyn Margarson pushed Danny Carey-Bertram's spot kick wide of the post after diving to his left. CAREY-BETRAM gave Telford the lead in the 34th minute when he fired the ball home from inside the box. Jon Froggatt soon saw his shot cleared off the line before Telford extended their lead just before half-time. Steve JAGIELKA spotted Margarson off his line and chipped the ball over the keeper from 25 yards out.

Boston piled on the pressure in the second half. A shot by Griffiths went well wide. Then Adam Millson saw his effort blocked before Jon Froggatt's follow-up was cleared. Ollie Ryan clattered to the ground as he ran into the area, but the referee failed to award the penalty that the home crowd demanded. Jon Rowan was brought on to replace Liam Green and the striker almost got onto a cross by Griffiths a few minutes later. Ryan saw his drive blocked after getting on the end of a cross by David Farrell. A long range chip by Ryan was just wide of the post. Boston finally got the goal their play deserved when Jon ROWAN headed home Steve Melton's corner kick. In the dying seconds Boston won another corner but despite Margarson joining the attack the opportunity was wasted with a poor delivery and Telford held on to progress into the next round. After the match Steve Welsh said: "The goals we gave away were disappointing. We created enough chances to get something."

Boston United: Martyn Margarson, Liam Green (Jon Rowan 68), Tom Matthews (Mitchell Griffiths 25), Matt Bloomer, David Farrell, Ryan Clarke, Adam Millson, Stewart Talbot (Lee Beeson 60), Steve Melton, Jon Froggatt, Ollie Ryan. Subs not used: Liam Parker, Micky Nuttell.

Match report and photograph copyright © Ken Fox 2008.