Author Topic: Best set of forwards since?  (Read 8088 times)

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Best set of forwards since?
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:47:50 PM »
When was the last time we had so many good forwards at the club?

wez33

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Best set of forwards since?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:56:14 PM »
i have to agree even clarkey i think is a very decent player for us but ubderstandably falls behind the strikers we have

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:14:54 PM »

BEST SET OF FORWARDS SINCE?

MY WIFE HAD HERS INCREASED TO 40 DD (AND THAT DONT STAND FOR DANNY DAVIDSON)  ;D

aggy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »
82-83

The sublime Colin Garwood & Jim Lumby combination ably assited by a youthful Coolie, frustrated Martk Cox and wonderfully inept Russ Allen come to mind.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:08:29 AM »
Such a shame Garwood got that injury a few weeks before the Sheff Utd Cup game,we'd have beaten them with him in the side and probably gone close to winning the league.

Best centre forward at the club in my time.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:33:18 AM »

At the start of the season during which we were ultimately relegated from the League we added Anthony Elding to a squad that already included Julian Joachim. Personally I thought that had the potential to be one of the best strike pairings we'd ever had - and two Boston-born players to boot. But Elding was suspended when he joined us and by the time he'd returned Jim Rodwell had seen the colour of Darlington's money and had sold Joachim. So we never got to find out how good this strike partnership would have been.

It wasn't too long before Elding was sold as well - to Stockport County.

With Francis Green in the squad as well, we wouldn't have gone down that season if that squad had been kept together.

I know finances were a big issue and we might have gone bankrupt off the pitch if keeping that squad, this discussion is abuot "best forwards" and not "best value forwards".

Bob Lee

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:35:45 AM »
John Froggat and Bobby Svarc from the early 70's no contest.

Devon Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
Dare I ask if anyone out there remembers the Graver and Garvie duo from the late 50's ?? Fantastic combination! Well as a young lad seemed like it to me!

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:44:40 AM »
Dare I ask if anyone out there remembers the Graver and Garvie duo from the late 50's ?? Fantastic combination! Well as a young lad seemed like it to me!

They don't make 'em like those two any more!!

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
Since...............................

Paul Cavell and Gary Jones

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
Pleased to see Bob Lee is like myself old enough to recall Bostons best ever pair of strikers. One player always overlooked on these debates is Mike Alexander. Can Ken give any statistics on him please.

Louth Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Hey Aggy back to 82-83.....I too remember that youthful Coolio, what ever happened to him?
Do I detect that most fans are now tending to forget the crooked years and look further back eg no Clare, Charlery etc

Bob Lee

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
GHM, I remember we signed him from Grantham, then we all voted for him to be Anglia television sports personality of the year.  Well my dad did I was too young to write. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 09:59:29 PM »
Pleased to see Bob Lee is like myself old enough to recall Bostons best ever pair of strikers. One player always overlooked on these debates is Mike Alexander. Can Ken give any statistics on him please.

Copied from Ken's site http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/rollcall.html

"Mike Alexander Forward (68-70) Signed from Grantham Town for £2,000. Was the Anglia TV Sports Personality of the Year for 68/69. Previously with Brigg Town, where he scored 120 goals in two seasons, Gainsborough and Grantham. Top scorer with 23 goals in 68/9, United's first season in the Northern Premier League. Moved on to Gainsborough Trinity."

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 09:21:24 PM »
For me it would have to be the foursome of Jimmy Fell, Jimmy Rayner, Dave Robinson & Peter Thompson. We may have had forwards playing at a higher level since them but these four were the most prolific in the club’s history.  The former three were part of the forward line that scored 136 goals in the United Counties Championship side of 65/66. Joined by Peter Thompson the following season they provided the ammunition for two West Midland League Championships in 66/67 and 67/68 with Jimmy Rayner being top scorer with 49 goals in 66/7 and Peter Thompson in 67/8 with 31 goals.

Fond memories still remain of this forward line with Jimmy Fell jinking his way down the left wing with his body swerves and Dave Robinson the speed merchant on the right, both providing the crosses for Peter Thompson’s bullet headers whilst goal poacher extraordinaire, Jimmy Rayner scavenged for any scrap that came his way in the 6 yard box, (His legendary tap-ins would make Newsham look like an amateur!)

This era also marked the beginning of two remarkable Pilgrim careers – John Lakin and Billy ‘The Legend’ Howells.

Fell, Thompson and Robinson competed in the first season in the NPL but Rayner at the end of his career was replaced by Mike Alexander.