Author Topic: NL Squad  (Read 15439 times)

Nundy Junior

• View Profile
Re: NL Squad
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2024, 01:11:38 PM »
We need to start seeing these "wow" signings.

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2024, 02:54:34 PM »

We didn't have too many last summer did we? That worked out ok in the end! We should have learnt by now not to get too excited or too deflated by signings as we never know how they're going to work out.

Like most I haven't been too enthused by many/any of these signings but we need to trust they're who Cully wants and he can get them playing to pick-up points. It'd be great to see a big name for this level come in but if they don't perform then it's really not worth it.

I don't think too many of us thought Mooney and Knowles were big names or even known by any of us last year but they played well enough to get deals two leagues up!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2024, 04:00:02 PM »

"Need" and "want" are 2 totally different things.

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2024, 04:25:06 PM »

Where do you stand on it Scotty? Do you think we need 'wow' signings? Or do you just want some?! Or do you not at all?!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2024, 04:35:07 PM »

Where do you stand on it Scotty? Do you think we need 'wow' signings? Or do you just want some?! Or do you not at all?!

Cully seems to like to build a team, with no real standout star men. It worked for us last season, in the end - albeit with certain individuals standing tall when it mattered (Bostwick, Richards, Gregory).

Maybe we will need 1 or 2 with proper quality for the National League, but there's no rush to splash the cash right now. Everybody wants that 25 goal striker, but you're probably better off having 4 players score 10+ goals.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2024, 08:24:39 AM »
Cully was also a dismal failure in the National League with King's Lynn and ended up taking a job at a failed village team...

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2024, 11:01:53 AM »
We don't know what's happening in the background Pete.  The budget that seems to be talked about by other league teams is one million +. Have we that kind of budget?  If we have that kind of budget, are players willing to come to us? Are we full time or hybrid? Does this suit players we are after?  Also league players contracts expire June 30th.  I will give it two weeks before I have an opinion. But up till now I'm not overly impressed with the new signings.
I have removed the shell from my racing snail to make it go faster, if anything it's made it more sluggish.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2024, 04:00:12 PM »
But up till now I'm not overly impressed with the new signings.

Nor am I, but I'm trying not to be too grumpy about things as I know there's plenty of time to build a squad. As it stands, though, I think we're clearly favourites to go straight back to National League North and our very conservative business in the transfer market thus far is doing very little to change my mind.

Nundy Junior

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2024, 04:02:59 PM »
Sam Osborne joins from Buxton, another whose had "injury setbacks"

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2024, 04:05:22 PM »
"Hopefully...."

We really need to be doing better than this. We seem to be building a NLN squad. We're not playing in the bloody NLN!!!

I'll cheer up if we're 10th in November, I promise...

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2024, 04:10:21 PM »
I remember Buxton had a couple of very swift forwards. I can't remember if he was one of them.
I have removed the shell from my racing snail to make it go faster, if anything it's made it more sluggish.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2024, 04:25:43 PM »
Scored a brace against us for Fylde back in April 2022. The first of which was a lovely finish...

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2024, 04:49:15 PM »
As I've said before, I'm not judging anyone/anything yet. I seem to recall many of the same sentiments being expressed at this stage last year.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2024, 04:50:13 PM »
And he was in the AFC Fylde team in our 2-0 win there in the 2022 Play-Off Semi-Final.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2024, 08:26:41 AM »
As I've said before, I'm not judging anyone/anything yet. I seem to recall many of the same sentiments being expressed at this stage last year.

I take your point David, but we finished 6th in a very poor league.