Author Topic: NL Squad  (Read 13179 times)

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: NL Squad
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2024, 10:28:12 AM »
Would have liked Knowles to stay, more disappointed in losing Knowles than Mooney. Could have seen him doing well for us in National League. Certainly a big gamble for Accrington to rely on both of these making the step up to League 2. A chance we may get one of them back on loan. Wasn't that long ago that we felt we lacked firepower with Knowles and Mooney up front and the club had to pay money to get Hazel.

Being under 23 we are entitled to compensation for Knowles, anyone have a guess at the going rate for a striker like Knowles compensation?

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2024, 10:53:30 AM »
It's an interesting question. I think u23 compensation isn't based on a player's market value - it's compensation for a club training and developing a player. Given we've had him less than a year I'd be amazed if it was anything substantial.

Nundy Junior

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2024, 12:26:02 PM »
It's an interesting question. I think u23 compensation isn't based on a player's market value - it's compensation for a club training and developing a player. Given we've had him less than a year I'd be amazed if it was anything substantial.

Couple of grand maybe, would be the same if not less for then Rowe's departure eventually gets announced. Bit of spare spending money i guess to bring someone in whether in goes on a fee or into wages. Feel like we need to see some big hitters join next and some real fire power up top. Albeit, that comes with a hefty price to pay

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2024, 01:36:29 PM »
Neither were prolific scorers. I remember a post from early in the season where a forward didn't score in about 7 matches. The rout at a very poor Gloucester added to their total. Sad to see Knowles go though. Perhaps we have a limited budget for this level. Next season is all about consolidation.
I have removed the shell from my racing snail to make it go faster, if anything it's made it more sluggish.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2024, 01:46:26 PM »
Neither were prolific scorers.

In BUFC terms, they were. Since Dayle Southwell left, having scored 24 league goals in 2015/16, only Danny Elliott (22 in 21/22) scored more league goals in a season that Mooney (16) and Knowles did (18).

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2024, 01:54:52 PM »
It didn't feel like it at the time. They had a sudden spurt of goals around March time that skewed the numbers, but for large chunks of the season they seemed fairly blunt. There was a reason we went out and paid a fee for Jacob Hazel.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2024, 06:28:55 PM »
Neither were prolific scorers.

In BUFC terms, they were. Since Dayle Southwell left, having scored 24 league goals in 2015/16, only Danny Elliott (22 in 21/22) scored more league goals in a season that Mooney (16) and Knowles did (18).
a lot of those were penalties ??

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2024, 11:12:59 PM »
It didn't feel like it at the time. They had a sudden spurt of goals around March time that skewed the numbers, but for large chunks of the season they seemed fairly blunt. There was a reason we went out and paid a fee for Jacob Hazel.

Agree. They certainly finished stronger than they started which may be why Accy have taken the punt but I'm still convinced that if they're Accy's front two next season they'll be down the bottom of the league. If we can get Hazel back to his form pre-injury that'll be great but he looked quite a way from it in those last five or six games of this season just gone.

Nundy Junior

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2024, 12:02:55 PM »
Adam Marriott rejoins

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2024, 12:04:31 PM »
Adam Marriott signs, done well for Cully in the past. Didn't play much last season with injuries but couple of seasons before that he showed he can score goals at National League level so got to be considered a good signing.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2024, 12:05:31 PM »
A squad player I would think, he looked a bit off the pace last year.
I have removed the shell from my racing snail to make it go faster, if anything it's made it more sluggish.

Nundy Junior

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2024, 12:20:27 PM »

Potentially yes. Still feel we're short on fire power but it's a start if he finds his form

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2024, 01:09:09 PM »

We were used to try and get him fit, but he ended up getting injured again at the end of the loan spell. Hopefully a full pre-season and he can start scoring for us.

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2024, 03:48:54 PM »
He clearly wasn't fit last season, but he claims he is now so we've added some experience up front. We certainly need more in that area in due course.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2024, 10:57:28 AM »
We certainly need more in that area in due course.

Absolutely; I feel the squad is still woefully thin in proven experience in several areas. Fellow play-off winners Braintree have been very busy adding experience throughout the squad and it's starting to get to the point where I'm beginning to fret we're lagging behind. I'm not overly enthused by Marriott's signing but I'll take him at his word he's fitter now than he was a few weeks ago when he looked miles off it.

One thing I've noticed with a lot of these signings is the repeated use of the word "hopefully"; "hopefully he's fit" or "yeah he's young but hopefully he'll be a good fit" etc etc.. This concerns me. I'm not sure we want to be making too many gambles in a league like the National League.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 10:59:26 AM by Pete Brooksbank »