Author Topic: Some old pics of York Street  (Read 12567 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Some old pics of York Street
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:32:37 AM »
Bunyan has sent in a set of rather old pics of York Street. It looks like they have been taken from the Stump.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Some old pics of York Street
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »
Can add a bit o white to those today.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:24:35 AM »
I think it should be called Shodfriars Lane as York Street (or any other of the roads around the ground) doesn't appear to exist.

As the Scala Theatre is in the picture, and the chemist is called Hurst's (not Hurst, Son & Page as it was later), this must have been pre-war and therefore in the very earliest days of United, if indeed that's who was playing there at the time.

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:01:15 AM »
Thanks for that Ken, much appreciated. Here's the text to go with them.

A few months ago whilst eating at Goodbarns in Boston my eyes were drawn to a new addition to their décor. On the facing wall to me was a large black and white print of Boston May Fair in the market place as seen from The Stump taken many years ago.  One of the first things I noticed was the absence of the Caterpillar that as long as I could remember had always been sited near to the Herbert Ingram statue area. So the photo was taken well before my time. In the centre of the picture is a large crowd hovering around some large sideshow attraction. Probably a Boxing or Wrestling booth. Again some form of fairground entertainment before my generation.
In order to try and date the photo I thought I would look at York Street to see how far the ground was developed. Here came the surprise, it was hardly developed at all and I thought that the photo might even be from the ‘20s showing the ground before Boston United was even formed.
Returning to Goodbarns again today for the ‘Office Do’ I enquired of a member of staff about the photo and they thought it was from the ‘30s although they weren’t sure. I now think it may well be from around the time Boston United was formed in 1933 and certainly gives an interesting insight into what the ground looked like around that time. Surrounded by other pitches there was no Rowley or Pilgrim Road. It is not easy to imagine crowds of 1000-2000, as witnessed in the 33/34 season, strewn around the perimeter of such a basic playing field. However it is easier for me to understand how my dad would have got in free via a ‘hedge-ticket’! In 1933 he would have been around 10 years old!
Would be interested to know if anyone knows the exact year the photo was taken and thus date this image of York Street or ‘Main Ridge’ as it may have been known at the time. Could it be the oldest picture of York Street? According to Ken's great website, football has been played at this location since the late 1800's, including Bostons first venture in the FA Cup in 1887, until the present day.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:22:48 AM by Bunyan »

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:54:56 PM »
 Could be any time from the 1920s .. I think ..

Seenbetter

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:24 PM »
That looks like an old gypsy style caravan in front of what is now Lloydstsb and look at all those shop front canopies. Definitely prior to mid 40s cos my old home next to Bargate drain hasn't been built yet. I remember in the early 60s the York St. gates were opened at half time and we got in for free, only saw half the game but at least it didn't cost owt. Perhaps they could revive that idea.  ;D

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
That looks like an old gypsy style caravan in front of what is now Lloydstsb and look at all those shop front canopies. Definitely prior to mid 40s cos my old home next to Bargate drain hasn't been built yet. I remember in the early 60s the York St. gates were opened at half time and we got in for free, only saw half the game but at least it didn't cost owt. Perhaps they could revive that idea.  ;D

Ohhh don't open that debate, we'll be going on page after page if you suggest a freebie.

We also spent a good while looking at that photo in the Goodbarns, I think I may have posted something on here at the time.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 07:32:23 PM »
Could you roughly date the photo by looking at the graves around Herbert Ingram and seeing if there are any that don't appear in the photo?

Edit - Ignore me, just realised that there are no graves there now!

Is that old hotel where M&S is now a possible clue?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:39:59 PM by Ferret »

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 12:32:45 AM »
Only been 28 i enjoy looking at some of the old photo's of boston and how the town etc use to be. Any body know where i can find a good selection?

Thanks in advance

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 08:16:38 AM »
Only been 28 i enjoy looking at some of the old photo's of boston and how the town etc use to be. Any body know where i can find a good selection?

Thanks in advance

There are a few old photos of Boston on this site:

http://www.bostonuk.com/gallery.php?type=Past%20Images&f=Boston

aggy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 08:27:57 AM »
Even in those days the ground looks well above the modern standard Unibomd cow field!

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »

Thanks in advance

There are a few old photos of Boston on this site:

http://www.bostonuk.com/gallery.php?type=Past%20Images&f=Boston
O well , I think the original pic on this thread is in that collection that Ken mentioned  . so we 're all too recent on our predix..

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »
There's a better version of the 1905 picture on the circus entertainer site:

It isn't quite the same as the one in Goodbarns and annoyingly it doesn't quite have the football ground in it.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
 thats the original bunyan one ..P

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 03:58:28 PM »