Author Topic: Sunderland link-up with Greene revealed  (Read 11227 times)

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland link-up with Greene revealed
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 08:34:56 PM »
If his contact with Sunderland is so good why did it take so long to get a left back!!!!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »
If his contact with Sunderland is so good why did it take so long to get a left back!!!!
Presumably, Sunderland wanted to assess their players before sending any out on loan.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 09:29:47 PM »

Looking at Div 1 , Div 2 and NC signings most days , these clubs sign under21s on loan from smaller Prem clubs or Championship clubs .    I bet their fans wound,nt mind waiting a few weeks to borrow players from what is presently  the best  Under21 squad in England .  Good feeling to be envied by clubs 2/3 divisions above Boston .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 08:49:59 PM »
Hello GHM. Can u please direct me to the post where I suggested getting loads of players in because I cannot recall suggesting such a thing. I may, like a number of others on here, commented on the fact that players were required to fill a a few positions in the team AND like a number of others, expressed their disappointment that that wasn't done and we started the season half cocked because of that. Bodge and I appear to agree on that one. And I have never asked for DGs head,just complained that starting to look good after about 12 games makes progress to the top 5 or 6 extremely difficult.
And as for asking people to suggest names of prospective managers, well that's like asking how long is a piece of string, you don't know until it has been measured, Graham Drury is evidence of that. Mr Newton is no fool but he was suckered in by that one. For three seasons we have started half cocked, even in the trenches during the First World War soldiers learnt very quickly not to strike two matches in quick succession.
It's interesting how many wannabe prospective managers come out of the woodwork when a job is advertised, that is when suitable names can be suggested, when the list is formulated, so let's stop asking for suggestions for names, it's statement used to try and shut people up.

To qoute you ,  "Just a thought but when other teams are changing players in order to improve their chances is it logiacal to keep the same team that the others know about "

Odin with only 8/9 players retained  your criterior demanded some more must go .
Which of those 8/9 would you have moved on ?

Working on your plan this would mean bringing in at least 12 more players to build a squad of only 18 .
I consider 12 "a load" of players to bring in at one go .

A few on here like yourselve seem obsessed with a fling start to the season .  The reason some are more laid back like myself is being awhere of the fact in lower leagues some early leaders find they have to unload players mid-season .      Better safe than sorry .

Now regarding naming prospective managers in your related long history lesson above,  as I see the only relevent content was the " piece of string ".     A load of meaningless gabble just to try and "string " us along . :dan

With the suggested Greene shortcomings you come up with I am certain like any other displeased fan
you  have considered an alternative you would like to see him replaced with .

Don,t be shy , tell us .     

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 10:08:02 PM »
I see Sunderland U21s beat Liverpool U21s today 1-0, with Stryjek in goal and Agnew in midfield...

Odin

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 10:31:42 PM »
Hello GHM.Firstly, I can see how the line 'is it logical to keep the same team that the others know about' could be construed by some folk as a suggestion to replace the whole team but to me it was a question and apparently ONLY you on here twisted it to suggest wholesale changes. You are the one who started banding about the numbers 8/9, 12 and 18, not me so don't suggest that I thought we should virtually disband the whole of last seasons team because I didn't.
Now to defend myself and others who have a similar view about inactivity in recruitment prior to the beginning of the season perhaps if you weren't prone to exaggeration to justify your views perhaps you would see that those views were concerned with only 2/3 positions that needed attention and not the whole team. That attention was clearly not given.
Now as for the piece of string comment, after GD was moved on did anyone come up with the name of DG as a possible replacement, probably not. I would therefor suggest that for anyone to come up with a list of names is impossible so in my view the question is intended to shut others up.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 09:04:20 AM »
after GD was moved on did anyone come up with the name of DG as a possible replacement, probably not.
Yes, considering DG was on the shortlist of 3 for the job when Drury got it.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 03:13:07 PM »
Hi GHM . . fast becoming the 'authority' of  the h/ c 's .

Unless he's got something against ' big/biggish '  boys' . .who's to say the Manager couldn't motivate a mix of them as well as the 'midgets' ,etc  on Sat ? ?

A bench without a proven big defender/def midfield is not on in my book .
                     f t .
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:17:22 PM by father Ted »

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 05:13:45 PM »

Unless he's got something against ' big/biggish '  boys' . .who's to say the Manager couldn't motivate a mix of them as well as the 'midgets' ,etc  on Sat ? ?

f t .
h/c's??

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 05:29:39 PM »

f t .

Hi Ted .....  you are absolutely right ,  big,uns , little,uns , this manager can get the best out of them

We had no big,uns to put on the bench Saturday . Only had 4 subs available .

Don,t claim to be an authority on happy clappers Ted , but I have to say its a great feeling going home from a matches  having enjoyed almost all of them in 69 years .
I do genuinely feel sorry for those who get down over a defeat , bad reffing decision etc and seem to be looking for negitives all the time .     Enjoy your sport , that what it is all about .

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
 Following Swansea  v  Stoke on BBC radio .
           Prem teams seem to line-up 4-2-3-1 these days .
                  Would that work  at York St ??

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
Hello GHM.Firstly, I can see how the line 'is it logical to keep the same team that the others know about' could be construed by some folk as a suggestion to replace the whole team but to me it was a question and apparently ONLY you on here twisted it to suggest wholesale changes. You are the one who started banding about the numbers 8/9, 12 and 18, not me so don't suggest that I thought we should virtually disband the whole of last seasons team because I didn't.
Now to defend myself and others who have a similar view about inactivity in recruitment prior to the beginning of the season perhaps if you weren't prone to exaggeration to justify your views perhaps you would see that those views were concerned with only 2/3 positions that needed attention and not the whole team. That attention was clearly not given.
Now as for the piece of string comment, after GD was moved on did anyone come up with the name of DG as a possible replacement, probably not. I would therefor suggest that for anyone to come up with a list of names is impossible so in my view the question is intended to shut others up.

Hi Odin ,
Missing one word out of a qoute can alter the context ,   but to miss 14 words ,  really ,very naughty .
You suggest the qoute was a question ,  where was the question mark ?
The figures I "banded " about were a rough guide to fit in to your idea to change the team from the one that "the others know about ".   To achieve your aim the figures qouted cover the various options , i.e
release some of the retained players or put them on the bench to make way for new signings .
If you wished not to disgard the retained players then 10/12 new signings would be about right .

Yet again back to the 2/3 positions to be filled  pre-season ,  I think all fans agreed on that plus Greene himself .  Like many managers with limited budgets is a  case of  bide your time .

To suggest that no one on here can come up wih a list of possible potential managers is patronising to many knowledgeable fans on here .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 08:33:39 PM »

Might be  difficult for us who are poor at maths to work out, Ted  :)
Where would Den put the midgets ?

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »
 Just an exercise with current players ..

SOUTHWELL

ROBBINS               DIXON               ROBERTS

GARNER                MILLS

MCEVOY         PIDGE    R JONES(OR ANOTHER FIT STOPPER)   RICHARDS

RAVAS
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:27:01 PM by father Ted »

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 08:51:18 AM »
We tried it in one game at home... Fylde I think? It's a formation that essentially has 6 defensive players and 4 attacking (relying on fluidity in midfield to link play). Can you get away with that in our division?