Author Topic: 4-4-2  (Read 5219 times)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: 4-4-2
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »
Not fussed that Gledhill has been relseased really, whilst he did look assured when in goal we already have a good 'keeper in Vince so no need to spend the wages on two 'keepers. Whilst Vince is young and inexperienced he has some really good attributes; kicks well, good reflexes etc.

Of the trialists left sounds like both Greene and Hall may be signed up. Also the possibility of the striker we need. 442 should give us a decent shape and we have the players to play it now.

Vince
Mills (had a very good preseason)
Pidge
Garner
Steer

Felix
Dowie
Hall
McGhee

Southwell
A. N Other

Galinski
Marshall
Greene?
Reynolds
Newsham (expected to be fit enough to get a bit of game time preseason so may make the bench)

Barlow, Smythe and Sanders aren't quite ready for the first team and would benifit more starting a few under 21 games in my opinion. If we don't get another forward Reynolds will perhaps start in defence with Garner up front. Also the possibility of Agnew or others in after Saturday from Sunderland.

Looking quite positive for me.

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:51:45 AM »
I thought apart from being caught in no-mans land for Forest's first the other night, he's had a very good preseason. Kept the score respectable in that game and apparently made some important saves last night
I'd still be wary of playing him 40 times a season but I have confidence in him to do a job

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:08:18 PM »
Forrests first goal was probably offside (although it was still a great move.) Vince could have either stayed on his line or rushed out to meet the attacker but came halve way out meaning that in order to score the attacker had to perfectly chip him which he did perfectly, although I am not sure many Conf North players would have finished with such finesse.

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:21 PM »
Really disappointed we aren't keeping Gledhill in goal. He was a solid keeper, with very quick thinking, more of the finished article than Vince. Speaking as an ex  BU goalkeeper/ coach when Middleton ruled,  I think Dennis has missed out this time.
The strongest back four we've seen ( first half at Spalding ) was Mills, Watson, Pidge, Reynolds. With Gledhill behind them you've got as solid a defence as you could wish for. Watson organised the back line really well, then in midfield there was another organiser in Meadows, a hard working player with height and pace and good distribution. Can't understand that so good players are being overlooked. Well thats my opinion.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:13:57 PM »
If Hall signs and Newsh can get fit starting 11 looks good.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »
As long as Rene Steer stays i'll be more than happy!
I still think we look short up front, although there's time yet to get someone in.

Check the grassy knoll and the chips and curry.  :bunny
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »
Really disappointed we aren't keeping Gledhill in goal. He was a solid keeper, with very quick thinking, more of the finished article than Vince. Speaking as an ex  BU goalkeeper/ coach when Middleton ruled,  I think Dennis has missed out this time.
The strongest back four we've seen ( first half at Spalding ) was Mills, Watson, Pidge, Reynolds. With Gledhill behind them you've got as solid a defence as you could wish for. Watson organised the back line really well, then in midfield there was another organiser in Meadows, a hard working player with height and pace and good distribution. Can't understand that so good players are being overlooked. Well thats my opinion.

I'm with you on this one Tony. Vince is a good prospect but he is not ready and not yet good enough to command the No1 spot. If we are to be serious challengers we need an accomplished keeper with proven ability. I think Sam should go out on loan to gain some experience.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:24:18 PM »

I'm with you on this one Tony. Vince is a good prospect but he is not ready and not yet good enough to command the No1 spot. If we are to be serious challengers we need an accomplished keeper with proven ability. I think Sam should go out on loan to gain some experience.
          +1

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
I haven't seen anything "official" to say that Gledhill has been released, yet it seems to be common knowledge on this thread. Is there a link somewhere?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
“Danny and Michael have done consistently well,” the manager said, before confirming his other trialists have been cut free.

http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/sport/boston-united/ninja-dowie-returns-to-boston-united-and-does-that-signal-a-return-to-4-4-2-1-6197319

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
“Danny and Michael have done consistently well,” the manager said, before confirming his other trialists have been cut free.

http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/sport/boston-united/ninja-dowie-returns-to-boston-united-and-does-that-signal-a-return-to-4-4-2-1-6197319

But the rest of the article is only really talking about outfield players. I can understand how the conclusion has been reached from that statement, but I still don't think we've heard the last about Gledhill.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »
The problem is we have to have a back up keeper and if we cand finding a club to loan Vince to is extremely hard unless that clubs main custodian is injured. Keepers are not like outfield players in this respect and even if we managed to do so we would presumably then have to find a replacement to sit on the bench. Also if the lad signed a two year deal on the told premise he would be number one, it could at the  least destroy his confidence
 A tough one. Lastly I do think keeping steer is vital as not only is he an exceptional LB he also provides us with a huge amount of momentum going forward, steer staying is crucial.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 08:28:54 AM »
Steer is already registered as a player for the season and there have been no rumors of him looking elsewhere so no need to worry on that one. Simply hasn't traveled for some midweek friendlies.

As for the goal keeper situation we have Hewitt as back up for Vince.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
I assume Hewitt will be back up on match days, but if Vince is injured/suspended then we try and bring in a loan keeper - maybe the one from Sunderland?