Author Topic: Tonights game  (Read 6745 times)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Tonights game
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
Very good young Forest side. Their number 7  (Silva) was one of the best players at YS for a long while. Alot of the trialists aren't good enough although the 'keeper didn't get a proper chance, Number 18 played ok the majority of the rest should be released. Hall didn't do alot but did enough in his time here before to be offered a deal and is a player that would offer something different to the rest of the squad. Garner did ok up front, Sanders still doesn't look ready for the first team.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tonights game
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:57:33 PM »
I think Sanders was signed for the Under 21 team so we still need a decent striker.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »
Smythe and Barlow have also played like they need a bit more time with the u21s during preseason.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:07:47 PM »
Very good young Forest side. Their number 7  (Silva) was one of the best players at YS for a long while. Alot of the trialists aren't good enough although the 'keeper didn't get a proper chance, Number 18 played ok the majority of the rest should be released. Hall didn't do alot but did enough in his time here before to be offered a deal and is a player that would offer something different to the rest of the squad. Garner did ok up front, Sanders still doesn't look ready for the first team.

Agree with most of that Carl , although the last 20mins with a stronger side on we were the better side .
Barlow looking a liability at the moment , little skill and little effort , will keep his shorts cleaner than Matt Bloomer ever did .  Get the goalkeeping position sorted and we sould be fine .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »
Best side of the three that's been pre season.
If the best players from both halves had started it may have been closer.
(Nb...don't park in Eagles car park on a Monday night...they lock it up :). )

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 11:28:53 PM »
I agree that the team that finished the match was much better than the start - especially replacing Sanders with Garner. Garner puts himself about when their defenders have the ball - he's the perfect striker who defends from the front.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »
Agree, their number 7 left back, number four and skipper were quality players and as a team did everything we didn't, including keeping the ball on the floor, always had the ball moving, pressed forward with pace and as you say were collectively very impressive, at times they literally ripped us apart and that hasn't for yonks. Vince played well, Mcghee looked sharp as did Felix when they came on. Hall for all his endeavour didn't look like player of last year, the same for Indy. Garner up front is still a no no to me, he certainly put a shift in didn't he, and many others out there could do a lot worse than to take notice of the effort he gave, including Southwell who am still reserving judgment on because whilst showing some nice touches were invariably for a CF in the wrong areas and my worry is that he has no pace. The shape was okay, the effort by most ditto, but for the first sixty minutes and for the second consecutive match, the biggest concerns were our lack of any pace and creativity. Not as optimistic as I was this time last year that's for sure

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:35 AM »
Their left back wasn't as effective going forward second half - in the first half, Djalo wasn't covering and poor Indy had a 2-on-1 each time.

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:30:47 AM »
Should have given Matt Gledhill more time in goal. To me he would be my choice as number one. He thinks what he's doing very quickly, and his distribution is spot on. Vince played well and he would make a good reserve keeper.
Very impressed with Forest. There number 7, as said, was magic, one of the best players I've seen. We were given a really entertaining match, thats what I call value for money.
We are desperate for a decent striker up front with pace. We can't just rely on the pace of Kaine, he has nobody up front to pass to. Sanders again proved what the majority of the crowd see, not first team material. Fouling with elbows as usual plus the usual as we all know. Rant over. Amazing we have a good selection of defenders, when Dennis play's his best at the same time. Also we are getting midfield a lot better. Very worried about lack of scoring power up front, we won't win games relying on midfield and defenders to get the goals. About time we saw the best team put out together, not long to the season proper. Fingers crossed.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »
Should have given Matt Gledhill more time in goal. To me he would be my choice as number one. He thinks what he's doing very quickly, and his distribution is spot on. Vince played well and he would make a good reserve keeper.
Very impressed with Forest. There number 7, as said, was magic, one of the best players I've seen. We were given a really entertaining match, thats what I call value for money.
We are desperate for a decent striker up front with pace. We can't just rely on the pace of Kaine, he has nobody up front to pass to. Sanders again proved what the majority of the crowd see, not first team material. Fouling with elbows as usual plus the usual as we all know. Rant over. Amazing we have a good selection of defenders, when Dennis play's his best at the same time. Also we are getting midfield a lot better. Very worried about lack of scoring power up front, we won't win games relying on midfield and defenders to get the goals. About time we saw the best team put out together, not long to the season proper. Fingers crossed.

Good to watch Forest no 7 , but became subdued when Mills came on .   As Tony says time we put best team out to give them time to gel .   If Gledhill is not good enough for No 1 spot we will have a problem .
As said with the defence we are spoilt for choice , hard for DG to pick the back four .  Its clear why Barrow fans considered Reynolds the best player last season .. 

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »
A lot rated Grobblear highly, I didn't he was lucky to play behind the best defence in world club football and if Vince does start in goal (though I think it may be Gledhl) can live with that its not a problem because we have some top defenders (so perfect for 3-5-2 isn't it) but defences stop u losing games strikers win them and with Newshs knee still not fit for purpose I think we might actually need not one b two strikers GHM that's why to most it is an urgent priority

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
A lot rated Grobblear highly, I didn't he was lucky to play behind the best defence in world club football and if Vince does start in goal (though I think it may be Gledhl) can live with that its not a problem because we have some top defenders (so perfect for 3-5-2 isn't it) but defences stop u losing games strikers win them and with Newshs knee still not fit for purpose I think we might actually need not one b two strikers GHM that's why to most it is an urgent priority

Grobblear made decisive moves and did not change his mind when once he had left his line ,   some considered him a clown , I think his team most his team mates had a differant view . 
Defenders stop you losing matches and a vital part of the defence is the goalie .  I,m hopeful Gledhall and Garner will fill the bill .
What players would you play and where in a  3-5 -2   ?

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 06:29:48 PM »
On players we assume will be in the squad, its an easy one to answer.

Pidge, SG, Watson and or the blond lad (Perm any three from four)

Steer and Mills/Mcghee Left and Right wing backs

Central Midfield.
Take your pick from the dozen or so we have witnessed the last few games. If you don't have McGhee as wing back then put him in the hole behind the strikers, with perhaps Marshall, Hall, Dowie, the lad who had a trial with Lincoln whose name I always forget

Forwards;
There is our problem again. On the assumption that Newsh was or will be fit then obviously him and I would play Felix because defenders hate pace especially when running at them, if he isn't fit which seems more likely, then possibly a loanee, or until he actually signs a striker even more likely he will continue with our CH

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 09:36:38 PM »
On players we assume will be in the squad, its an easy one to answer.

Pidge, SG, Watson and or the blond lad (Perm any three from four)

Steer and Mills/Mcghee Left and Right wing backs

Central Midfield.
Take your pick from the dozen or so we have witnessed the last few games. If you don't have McGhee as wing back then put him in the hole behind the strikers, with perhaps Marshall, Hall, Dowie, the lad who had a trial with Lincoln whose name I always forget

Forwards;
There is our problem again. On the assumption that Newsh was or will be fit then obviously him and I would play Felix because defenders hate pace especially when running at them, if he isn't fit which seems more likely, then possibly a loanee, or until he actually signs a striker even more likely he will continue with our CH

A bit vague BG but i agree with Barlow being ommitted , surprised that Southwell is not considered .

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 11:10:12 PM »
Not being vague at all GHM. The secret of plyaing 3-5-2 lies with having three centre halves and attacking/disciplined wing backs and on all evidence seen thus far we have those bases well and truly covered. Cant fill in the gaps about holding midfield as we don't know who is retained and or signed and the reason Southwell has been omitted is that am not convinced one way or another on the boy yet