Author Topic: O/T Bicker Fen Wind Farm  (Read 6364 times)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
O/T Bicker Fen Wind Farm
« on: June 07, 2014, 08:23:16 PM »
While we are waiting for some transfer news, I was wondering if there are any Pilgrims on here who live in the vicinity of the wind turbines at Bicker Fen?
My wife is interested in a property in the area but we are not sure what level of noise these things create, and any other problems there could be living nearby? Any advice/info would be much appreciated  8)

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T Bicker Fen Wind Farm
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
Hi don't live in the area but we do work down there for R Grants. They do hum a little when in motion but not to the point where you wouldnt be able to watch tv or sleep.

Apart from that there isnt any other issues

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:26:03 PM »
http://www.windfarmaction.com/england.html

There is a lot of OUR money being wasted on these!
The landowners are a winner, the energy companies are on a winner. As consumers we are not!
When you go past some and they're not turning you would think the energy company isn't earning anything wouldn't you?
Wrong.....
You've got me started.......

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 06:39:19 AM »
Thanks hmntp, some very interesting info.
I've googled some stuff about amplitude modulation which they are all supposed to generate when conditions are right, ie medium to high winds. Apparently there is a 'thump' roughly once every second which penetrates the structure of nearby houses as it is low frequency, a bit like the bass produced by a passing boy-racer in ASDA's car park - have you heard anything like that at R Grant's Bostonshire?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 02:09:22 PM »
I don,t live near a wind farm Ed ,  the best advice I can offer is apply the NIMBY test.
My MP Mark Simmonds in line with his consistent policy of backing Dave is a great advocate of wind farms .  Then in 2013 when a wind farm related sub-station plan was released locating this project in  Marks back yard at Swineshead Abbey the protesters cheer leader was......... Mark Simmonds .
Send a letter to Mark I,m sure you will get a concise response . :P

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 03:35:33 PM »
I've googled some stuff about amplitude modulation which they are all supposed to generate when conditions are right, ie medium to high winds. Apparently there is a 'thump' roughly once every second which penetrates the structure of nearby houses as it is low frequency, a bit like the bass produced by a passing boy-racer in ASDA's car park - have you heard anything like that at R Grant's Bostonshire?

Never heard anything like that TBH but that maybe down to the fact that they are limited to 6mph turning speed but i only hear a low hum from them and thats over 8 to 10 hours

milo1972

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »
I often cycle down the bottom of Little Hale Fen where the turbines are only a stones throw the other side of the forty foot drain. I find them quiet with a very slight hum noise. I know a lot of people oppose them but id rather have wind turbines than dirty power stations.  ;D

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 10:09:15 PM »

Never heard anything like that TBH but that maybe down to the fact that they are limited to 6mph turning speed but i only hear a low hum from them and thats over 8 to 10 hours

The max they rotate is 22rpm, if they're 125 metres tall will a 100m diameter blade then the speed  at the tip might be much higher.

The problem we have in our area is they (developers) are trying for smaller, 2 to 4 turbines, and then going for more a few miles away...then go for the "fill ins"
If were not careful they'll be all the way from wrangle/Friskney all the way up to Humberston Fitties.
Over subsidised eyesore

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:55:23 AM »
Prob speaking to the wrong person about anti turbine as im in support of them but alls intital to there view. I just know bicker fen are restricted and run by a company in germany

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 11:01:21 PM »
Allegedly each one of those turbines earns the company that owns it 750k per annum in feed in tariffs and subsidies...no wonder renewable electricity is so expensive, and all that cash going to Germany  :o

Its a lovely house we were looking at but it is very unlikely that we would buy it now. They say these turbines don't have any impact on property values, but that is clearly not true. :dan
Does anyone understand the relevance of the wind turbines shown in the opening sequence of the ITV coverage of International Football, or is it just more subliminal advertising on behalf of the Renewable Energy Industry?  ???

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 10:37:25 PM »

The max they rotate is 22rpm, if they're 125 metres tall will a 100m diameter blade then the speed  at the tip might be much higher.

The problem we have in our area is they (developers) are trying for smaller, 2 to 4 turbines, and then going for more a few miles away...then go for the "fill ins"
If were not careful they'll be all the way from wrangle/Friskney all the way up to Humberston Fitties.
Over subsidised eyesore

hmn2p thought you might like to know that apparently the Bicker Fen Wind Farm, and almost all the wind turbines in the Boston area, apart from the most recent ones, are under threat. Something to do with an ongoing court case about the planning conditions used being incorrect or unlawful  :o

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »
Thx Ed :)
I wasn't aware....don't get the local press

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 07:24:10 PM »
We visit my inlaws who live in Cornwall where there is a huge concentration of wind turbines. They don't give off much noise at all , just a low hum that is no problem at all to the locals.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 07:58:30 PM »
Thx Ed :)
I wasn't aware....don't get the local press

You won't see it in the local press hm, the case has been going on for years apparently.
Seriously large amounts of tax-payers money being spent on this and yet all you read in the Courts Report section is about who has been done for shoplifting, who has been banged up in the drunk tank, and who has been caught doing 36mph in a 30 limit  :o