Author Topic: 10 matches in...  (Read 7611 times)

Patrick

• View Profile
10 matches in...
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
...so, thoughts?

We have 14 points from our opening 10 matches - an identical haul to two seasons ago when we went on to be promoted.

I think we've had some bad performances and results but we still have a decent squad which will not finish below mid-table. Whether we can mount a proper play-offs campaign depends on whether we solve our attacking problems. Promisingly, the managers seem to be aware of these problems and are taking measures to put them right (the signings of Ben Fairclough and Jordan Burrow).

Lee Canoville said "it's been an average start" (second tweet down).

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: 10 matches in...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:14:55 PM »
We've been truely shocking for about a month and still lie 10th after 10 games.  That's good for us, cos it means that if we can sort ourselves out we could mount a playoff chase.....if!
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Seenbetter

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:24:50 PM »
But we can't afford promotion yet. A play off place would be exciting but could we afford to win it. I think we have to settle for this league for a few seasons more before we could comfortably go up. As a lot of sensible people have said on here, lets get the ground and the money right first, we don't want to be broke again and have no club at all.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:29 PM »
It would probably be easier to fund a new ground if we're in the conference, more sponsorship money, bigger attendances, but making a squad good enough to stay up will take a bigger budget than what Dave will probably want to pay.

Alfreton blitzed the league last year but they've stuggled this year, got tonked 6-1 by Forest Green the other day.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:39:16 AM »
Hopefully the injury situation will be kinder to us over the rest of the season than it has benn over the past 10 games. Cannovile and Jellyman would be in most peoples first 11 adding quality and experience both in defence and going forward from the full back positons. Since White came in we have looked solid in defence with scoring goals being the problem. Hopefully the two new forwards can help solve this problem. I don't believe we will have too many problems creating chance with Sleath, Milnes, Semple and probably Newsh on the left in midfield. Not a massive fan of Chris Hall though, poor distribution too often and seems to get his head down too easily. IMO Hall is the weak link in midfield in the same way that Austin was at CB before White came in. 

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
But we can't afford promotion yet. A play off place would be exciting but could we afford to win it. I think we have to settle for this league for a few seasons more before we could comfortably go up. As a lot of sensible people have said on here, lets get the ground and the money right first, we don't want to be broke again and have no club at all.

I'm in the same boat with regards not thinking we're ready. but 813 suggests others can't hack that and we need to get playing teams we've heard of otherwise attendances will be terrible.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »
What we have at the moment is about 800 supporters come what may, and about 400 now and again fans. What we need to keep going forward is 1200 die hard supporters. Money is tight and time is precious but somehow the club needs to get more through the turnstiles or I fear we will be at this level for a very long time. Performances have got to improve to encourage those fans to come and support but peoples perception of the football club has to be realistic aswell we are a part time Conference North Club.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »
What we have at the moment is about 800 supporters come what may, and about 400 now and again fans. What we need to keep going forward is 1200 die hard supporters. Money is tight and time is precious but somehow the club needs to get more through the turnstiles or I fear we will be at this level for a very long time. Performances have got to improve to encourage those fans to come and support but peoples perception of the football club has to be realistic aswell we are a part time Conference North Club.

Performances may have to improve, but we're 10th ffs, not bottom or on a 20 game winless streak.  For 400 people to just up sticks and not bother is an insult to what's been built over the past 2 years really. 

ExBostonian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »
Most attendances were down last night. Hayes & Yeading could only muster sub 300 in BSP.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »
Wet night , soccer on TV and a match Saturday ,  with the recession a lot cannot afford two matches a week .     Note 1500 at Imps game against league leaders.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:13 PM »
Everyone's gates were down last night, look at some in the Carling Cup. Its a question of finance and a lot of people don't have the money for 2 games in 8 days. Throw in the poor form and the rotten weather plus some of us season ticket holders using a midweek as a 'free' game and 800 wasn't bad........I can think of about 19 clubs in our division who'd be delighted with that on a wet Tuesday night.

Midweek is generally a time for low gates, the hope is we get 300+ back on Saturday, I can't see that being below 1000. If it is we've got a problem.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:04:05 PM »
Everyone's gates were down last night, look at some in the Carling Cup. Its a question of finance and a lot of people don't have the money for 2 games in 8 days. Throw in the poor form and the rotten weather plus some of us season ticket holders using a midweek as a 'free' game and 800 wasn't bad........I can think of about 19 clubs in our division who'd be delighted with that on a wet Tuesday night.

Midweek is generally a time for low gates, the hope is we get 300+ back on Saturday, I can't see that being below 1000. If it is we've got a problem.
spot on Andy

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »
10 games in and it's starting to shape up.
Holsgrove moved on and White moved in.
The lack of goals is being addressed.
Bazza's still at it and there's some promising youngsters in the side.
An entertaining start IMHO  :dan

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:26:53 PM »
The thing about Crane is/was he could play anywhere down the centre . . best freekick taker/ scorer for seasons . . made captain by T.T.  if I remember rightly.
  Now if some brave manager could get him in hand. . and make him forget he comes from Liverpool.. 

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
Pre season I was concerned by 2 or 3 signings, namely Joachim, Stones and Fairclough.

Joachim from the get go looked unfit, lacking that pace that made him the player he was and a couple of games in Jason and Lee recognised the mistake they'd made and got rid.

Fairclough after a couple of shaky games in friendlies has steadily improved and I have no problem saying so far has turned out better than I thought.

Stones is playing 2 or 3 leagues higher than he should be. Having said that it's not his fault he doesn't pick himself and to be fair to the lad he gives 100% and in most of the games he has been made a scapegoat by the boo boys when in most of those games he has not been the worst player on the pitch. Despite thinking he isn't quite good enough for this level if he could get a couple of goals and some confidence who knows, but at 27 is it worth the wait and risk?

As for the managers I personally think so far they're showing exactly what they are, rookie managers. Yes so far they've made mistakes, but what makes me hopeful for the future they have spotted their mistakes and put them right, Joachim is a good example of that, as is the current tinkering with the attacking players to try to sort the lack of goals. I'm sure they'll make more mistakes but if they continue to hold their hands up and put them right the club will keep going in the right direction.

As for the rest of the players, Holsgrove going I think will turn out to be good for us in the long run and is another good call from the management (assuming the managers let him go). On his day he was quality but he had far too many off days and never released the ball quick enough. This in turn has released Chris Hall to play in his more natural position where he looks far more effective.

Harry Deane again was the correct decision, I personally think young Ogden in the reserves is a much better prospect. Another signing I was dubious about was Alan White but again has been proved a great bit of business, Tom Ward has been a revelation since his arrival and now looks to be fulfilling the potential that he showed in pre-season.

Up front we now seem to have a good mix, Newsh is the predator who can pinch us a goal with his legendary tap-ins. Ben Fairclough will give us the pace we have be so sorely missing, Suarez has the height to win a good % of headers and Stones gives us a physical presence and is good to bring on for the last 30 mins. Burrow will bring youthful exuberance and has scored goals at every level he plays.

As far as tactics are concerned I think we've looked best offensively when we play 4-3-3, with this formation we seem to get the ball down and try to pass teams off the park, most notably against Histon, in this formation though don't think Chris Hall is right for the defensive midfield role. This is much better suited to Milly who has been really unlucky so far as he's been our best midfielder in every game he's played and is yet to play with Danny Sleath, if not then I think this is one position we need fill although I still think AM has the potential to fill the shoes of Church.

4-4-2 we look sounder defensively but lose something going forward and tend to go route one, which so far has been largely ineffective.

The formation/style of play is the biggest issue the management has to sort along with strikers which is being addressed.As has been said it is a work in progress but in interviews etc. Jason and particularly Canners talk a lot of sense and now where the problems lie so I trust that they'll get it right and once they do we'll start to move up the table. Having said that we haven't really played well and are still only 1 point off the play-offs. Added to that none of our opponents have so far been very good IMO although we are yet to play any of the top 5, if we do get it right in front of goal there is no reason we can't make the play-offs.