Author Topic: Tonight's game  (Read 13971 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's game
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 11:20:14 PM »
Good points BP. I'm all for 4-5-1 if we don't have much firepower / creativity. Pack the midfield and defence and try and grind out some results - and clean sheets.

DL

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 12:14:41 AM »
Ok my 2p worth while it is fresh.

Positives:  We created an abundance of chances and in two types of ways.  First half we cut them open with some slick stuff and Newsh should have bagged his golden chance.  Second half we battering rammed them open a good few times.  He may not be pretty and he may be hard to watch sometimes but the lad Stones does create a nuisance and had plenty of chances to score.... with confidence he may have had a few tonight,  discuss it after the game if he isn't upto the grade.... back the lad please when he is on the pitch.

Negatives: We look weak at the back.  Parker and another may work,  Austin and another may work but at the moment the two together doesn't.  We ran out of steam, for a team that has a specific fitness coach, we were second to the ball ALL the time and just weren't fit enough to press them.  Nunny looked a shadow of last years side, yet ran out easy winners after the initial scares.

But the biggest negative tonight is from off the field,  yes it wasn't great and yes upto 2-0 we were all great and supported the team and did our bit.  But the booing and mocking of your own shirt is the stuff of 23 game losing streaks, not 4 games into a season with the spine of a new side.

We need some pace at either end of the pitch and a to play with a bit more willingness to work.  Just pray we get the first goal on Saturday as we need to win ugly to get the ball rolling and see what happens when the shackles are cut free,
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

BosstickPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 08:00:30 AM »
Need to change something and fast i think  ???

pilgrim4life

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
i think it was clear to everyone at the game that stones isnt good enough ,except yourself that is. The majority of centre halves in this league are experienced and would have a field day against him. Just hope the players coming in bring a lot more fight and desire as that is what is missing, that never give up attitude that is why we have done so well last two years seems to have dissapeared!

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »
If stone had taken one or two of his chances would be still be berating him?.......probably because we're a fickle bunch of fans. To be honest he caused their defence problems even if he wasn't the most mobile player on the pitch he kept their defence busy and when big jase came on, gave him a bit of freedom to win practically every header in the nuneaton box. For gods sake give the lad a chance, don't jump down his throat. Yes ill admit holgrove didn't have a good game but did we start berating him? no because we have seen what he can do, give Stones more of a chance and you never know (maybe without as much trickery). As for the defence, right back and left back ok but i agree that Austin and Parker don't seem to work together, might be time to give Ward a chance, but with who?

Great work by the Boston following but went silent in nuneaton library when we went 2-0 and the booing and berating the team is hardly going to lift them up to go for the win.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »
If stone had taken one or two of his chances would be still be berating him?.......probably because we're a fickle bunch of fans. To be honest he caused their defence problems even if he wasn't the most mobile player on the pitch he kept their defence busy and when big jase came on, gave him a bit of freedom to win practically every header in the nuneaton box. For gods sake give the lad a chance, don't jump down his throat. Yes ill admit holgrove didn't have a good game but did we start berating him? no because we have seen what he can do, give Stones more of a chance and you never know (maybe without as much trickery).

a voice of reason :)
well said Shorty.
(remember ...... if he's local = he's rubbish)

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 11:49:09 AM »
Personally i feel if we can juggle the budget around and get another Centre Back in for either Parker/Austin, personally i'd drop Austin on current form and other factors, i do truly believe we'll be alright, we're creating chances it's just down to poor defending imo.

Either way keep the faith, S/H didn't exactly get off to a flyer and as they say the rest is history, UTP!

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »
I wasn't at the match last night so cannot pass comment on the performance,but it's clear that all is not well with the team and some of us believe we know why.
Two or three posters have commented on the booing/berating of certain players,and quite rightly have said this has to stop.As fans we are all frustrated with what's happening,but having a go at players is counter productive as does nothig but destroy any confidence the players may have.
I can't make it to Harrogate,but i'll be there b/h Monday for the Halifax game and i'll be at Bishops Stortford the following Saturday supporting whatever team we put out.
I'll criticise/question things on this forum-that's what it's for,but i won't have a go at the players on the pitch.People need to remember that NO player gives himself a contract or picks himself for the team-if certain players are not good enough(as i believe is the case)then the blame lies not with the players,but with those that brought them to the Club.

Bob Lee

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »
I wasn't at the match last night so cannot pass comment on the performance,but it's clear that all is not well with the team and some of us believe we know why.
Two or three posters have commented on the booing/berating of certain players,and quite rightly have said this has to stop.As fans we are all frustrated with what's happening,but having a go at players is counter productive as does nothig but destroy any confidence the players may have.
I can't make it to Harrogate,but i'll be there b/h Monday for the Halifax game and i'll be at Bishops Stortford the following Saturday supporting whatever team we put out.
I'll criticise/question things on this forum-that's what it's for,but i won't have a go at the players on the pitch.People need to remember that NO player gives himself a contract or picks himself for the team-if certain players are not good enough(as i believe is the case)then the blame lies not with the players,but with those that brought them to the Club.

Well said that man ;)

Pride of Lincolnshire

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 02:42:31 PM »
Four games in and already the nonsense has started. Get a life, support the team, otherwise feck off.

What kind of "fan" abuses their own players ? It's really important we give the managers and players a chance before writting them off. If you can't do that, don't waste your hard earned cash coming to games, We'll be fine without you. Maybe if some of us get off the players backs, they can relax and do their stuff. I know, what a crazy idea that is !

The players deserve respect without being abused by some morons on the sideline who think "we've paid our dollar, we can say whatever we like". Not so. If a player was to abuse a fan there'd be uproar no doubt !

Tough times are when the real fans step up to the plate. Ask yourself, am I a true fan and prepared to support the team, win, loose or draw. We've all been there these last couple of seasons when things were dandy, now we need to repay the club in these testing times.

Keep the faith. Up the Pilgrims !

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »
Seems like there's a lot of negativity on Utd Live, Craig's a bit pi$$ed off......

But yet again its a sub standard performance following on from Saturday, what does he and the club expect?

Agreed two rubbish games in a row. Not good enough not saying the seasons over just not good enough

nikko

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »
Four games in and already the nonsense has started. Get a life, support the team, otherwise feck off.

What kind of "fan" abuses their own players ? It's really important we give the managers and players a chance before writting them off. If you can't do that, don't waste your hard earned cash coming to games, We'll be fine without you. Maybe if some of us get off the players backs, they can relax and do their stuff. I know, what a crazy idea that is !

The players deserve respect without being abused by some morons on the sideline who think "we've paid our dollar, we can say whatever we like". Not so. If a player was to abuse a fan there'd be uproar no doubt !

Tough times are when the real fans step up to the plate. Ask yourself, am I a true fan and prepared to support the team, win, loose or draw. We've all been there these last couple of seasons when things were dandy, now we need to repay the club in these testing times.

nail on the head....if you expect your team to win week in/week out, go support man u.because at this level it that aint gonna happen....

madhos

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Think we been spoilt these last 2 seasons, but going backwards with these 2 in charge.............i know its all about budgets/cost cutting  etc but their signings say it all imo.......

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 07:29:32 PM »
If as said by the chairman that this seasons budget has only been cut "slightly",  then the managers have given him a poor return compared with what the last two managers put on the field.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »

Great post!  I couldn't agree more.  Seems to me like all we are going to achieve here is a self fulfilling prophecy.  Vauxhall motors was my first game since last season and I couldn't believe how dead the atmosphere was.  When the fans finally did get behind the team for a while in the second half you could see the players heads go up and things improved a bit.

As Pride of Lincolnshire says, the time to get behind the team is when the chips are down.  Too many times we become hostile to our own players and all our increased support achieves is to give the opposition a lift.   Its crazy!      
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:58:53 PM by Maxross »