Author Topic: Boston United v Vauxhall Motors  (Read 13278 times)

Bob Lee

Re: Boston United v Vauxhall Motors
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 10:31:26 PM »
No, but 1 point out of 6 is hardly a great springboard is it? :-\

And over 100 people missing from the midweek gate too........

I did not go today so cannot comment on the match.

I was going until just before the kick off but a more pressing matter arose.

I do not think people are voting with their feet, I think it is purely down to lack of finances.

A lot of fans live out of town, so with the cost of fuel, entry, a pint in the club and a programme, the day is going to cost a family of two at least £35.  Now multiply that by two and you have to work a day and a half to attend the two matches.

We are living in a low income area and with the cost of living shooting up I am afraid people have to get their priorities right.

I have not made a comment about the team or the signings and will not until we are ten games into the season.

Bob Lee

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
The size of the gate was very worrying.  From an atmosphere point of view, that's as poor as I can remember for a long time - small crowd, no noise until second half.  First half played in virtual silence - hard to believe it is the same support that sings for 90 mins away from home, even at games like Droylsden last season (when there was certainly nothing to sing about!)
So many people come on here saying why don't we sign this player or that player, but this club does not break even at the moment.  If gates stay at the current levels, I'd expect budget cuts will be necessary before Christmas.  If you want to support the club and see it do well, you need to show your support by paying your money at the gate.  I accept not everyone can go to every game (many of our fans live away from the area, some can't afford to go every week etc), but if you choose not to go to the home games and support the club financially, it's a bit rich to complain when we can't afford new players.
If you think £3 is too much for a programme, don't buy it!  You also don't have to buy a 50/50 ticket or golden goal.  I do and I sit in the main stand, so that is £20 + £25 fuel costs for each home game.  Today I don't feel that I got good value for that, but many times over the last 2 years I have had excellent value, so I won't worry about one game. 
Tomorrow is another day, Tuesday is another game and Nuneaton have started worse than us.  Let's bounce back with a better performance there.

Ditto ;)

Ben Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 11:07:10 PM »
MOTD has just proved even the top refs miss hand balls.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 11:11:19 PM »
Very disappointing.
Tactics seemed all wrong. First half 'hoof ball' was shocking. No height up front and hoof the ball hoping for what exactly?
Hoof ball with tall strong forwards is at best 50/50, with our line-up we gifted possession to Vauxhall - bet they were shocked at how easy it was to get and keep the ball.
Second half was a little better. Played some passing football - across our 18 yard line, but at least switched the play. Then it was all so predictable. Swinging balls in - hopeful rather than targeting a player, or looking to play to feet for one twos on the edge of the box, then the corners, no imagination.

Threatened through Holsgrove and had some pace from the back on the right in the second half, but otherwise very average.

There is a long way to go, but hoof ball will not win us much in this league with this team.
As Brian once said,"If football was meant to be played in the sky, God would have painted the sky green" (or some such).

Vauxhall no.7 looked quality, and there no. 9 played the ref well and looked very comfortable on the ball.

nikko

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 11:54:57 PM »
bloody hell,the doom and gloom merchants* have appeared early this season,we`ve only played 3 games!!!!

*usual suspects,only happy when it rains

Swampy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »
With 2 strikers with no more pace than a snail, and one of them with a mighty pilgrim goal haul of half a dozen in just 50 odd games, you can only afford to play one of those up top and possibly play Holsgrove up there who has a good bit of pace and who can actually take on and beat his opponent or play an extra midfielder behind a loan striker otherwise as seen yesterday you open up the middle of the pitch.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
Crowds will come - with results  :o

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »
I just wondered if a certain Boston player has finally left the pitch (Now Sunday afternoon) as he was in a different time zone yesterday. Until that player is out the side we will continue to play one man short, its like a disablity before we start. Worst Boston player ive seen since Shane Nicholson. Oh and dont say dont get at him as it'll do his confidence, its the start of the season man and if you have no confidence now then you never will. Funny old thing we won the first game.  >:( >:(  You have got to give yourself a chance and not start a game with basically 10 men!

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »
The size of the gate was very worrying.  From an atmosphere point of view, that's as poor as I can remember for a long time - small crowd, no noise until second half.  First half played in virtual silence - hard to believe it is the same support that sings for 90 mins away from home, even at games like Droylsden last season (when there was certainly nothing to sing about!)
So many people come on here saying why don't we sign this player or that player, but this club does not break even at the moment.  If gates stay at the current levels, I'd expect budget cuts will be necessary before Christmas.  If you want to support the club and see it do well, you need to show your support by paying your money at the gate.  I accept not everyone can go to every game (many of our fans live away from the area, some can't afford to go every week etc), but if you choose not to go to the home games and support the club financially, it's a bit rich to complain when we can't afford new players.
If you think £3 is too much for a programme, don't buy it!  You also don't have to buy a 50/50 ticket or golden goal.  I do and I sit in the main stand, so that is £20 + £25 fuel costs for each home game.  Today I don't feel that I got good value for that, but many times over the last 2 years I have had excellent value, so I won't worry about one game. 
Tomorrow is another day, Tuesday is another game and Nuneaton have started worse than us.  Let's bounce back with a better performance there.

3 squid for a programme does sound pricey but when you compare it to the other clubs so called effort for a programme, ours is super value for money. 12 entry is alot when we play shit but if we were brilliant there wouldn't be any issued raising regarding the price. the real issue to me is travel cost. i have not been to any of the games this season yet as my first child has just been born this week. i will though be at harrogate on sat then on monday in boston for the halifax match. these two game are gonna cost me over 100 squid with travel, enty, food and drink and programmes.
what really is needed is more incentives to get poeple who live in boston to the games. hartlepool decreased the price of a season ticket as more people ordered them. when a deadline came the price became fixed. the more they sold the cheaper they became. in the end they sold 6000ish. fans got a good deal and the club got fans in the ground who af course will spend more money and create a better atmosphere.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
No, but 1 point out of 6 is hardly a great springboard is it? :-\

And over 100 people missing from the midweek gate too........

If u hate it that much make it 1 more  :bunny

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »
I just wondered if a certain Boston player has finally left the pitch (Now Sunday afternoon) as he was in a different time zone yesterday.

Who is this man? Or can he not be named for legal reasons??

Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »
I just wondered if a certain Boston player has finally left the pitch (Now Sunday afternoon) as he was in a different time zone yesterday. Until that player is out the side we will continue to play one man short, its like a disablity before we start. Worst Boston player ive seen since Shane Nicholson.

I'll bite, I like puzzles.

Has said player started in all three games but is yet to feature in any of Craigs match reports?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 05:20:04 PM »
If you think £3 is too much for a programme, don't buy it!  You also don't have to buy a 50/50 ticket or golden goal.  I do and I sit in the main stand, so that is £20 + £25 fuel costs for each home game.  Today I don't feel that I got good value for that, but many times over the last 2 years I have had excellent value, so I won't worry about one game.  
Tomorrow is another day, Tuesday is another game and Nuneaton have started worse than us.  Let's bounce back with a better performance there.

The saying we use "I'll take that as my free game" which basically is the same.  I never think of the cost in terms of individual games as it'd just break you, but under £200 for both me and the boy to watch football til next May still seems like a bloody good deal whatever the performances on the pitch.  10 games in is the media set benchmark for how your season will pan out and as some have already said, we took an age to get up and running in S&H's season.

The modern day football fans needs to start to enjoy football for what it is, a roller coaster of emotions which builds and builds til May where ultimately 20 out of 22 sets of fans end up dissappointed until August when we start it all again. I just wish people would realise that they enjoy the endless dissappointment after dissappointment, get to grips with the fact they love a moan and despite what they say, they will go back, they will pay 50p more in the vein hope that next time is the time they get to be part of the 2 out of 22 that end it all happy and looking for something or someone else to gripe at.

In Dave I still trust.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:21:57 PM by Lord Cutler Beckett »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »
I have not been to any of the games this season yet as my first child has just been born this week. i will though be at harrogate on sat then on monday in boston for the halifax match. these two game are gonna cost me over 100 squid with travel, enty, food and drink and programmes.

Congratulations, Start him/her early and get that pram down to Harrogate at the weekend as the crowds are dropping and we're all dooomed captain.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
Could not agree more, see you next Saturday.