Author Topic: We are in trouble  (Read 11012 times)

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: We are in trouble
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 10:03:42 PM »
Budget has been spent now according to Canners, players have to go out for others to come in.
Then it's been poorly spent IMO.If it has been spent then so be it.It doesn't alter the fact that we are short of quality in two key positions.

And one of those positions is the goal keeping one, I thought  Bastock had a very poor game today, he had an young lad playing in front of him, who needed guidance and encouragement, all he got from Bastock was abuse, it got so the lad did'nt know what to do to be right, Bastock himself was rooted to the spot most of the time, he did not control his goal area, he is showing his age with his lack of movement and judgement , off when to come out and command his area,ok he made a couple of saves, but I do not think he is good enough to last the season, not if continues to play like he did today, Haystead the player we let go back to Hinkley, was a much better custodian, and before somebody comes on here and tells me to support the team, I do that , and have done for many years.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 10:05:41 PM »
Having watched Grimsby a few times last year, I'd concur.  Suarez had the beating of both their centre backs and we ripped through their defence for fun despite looking toothless in other games.  I came away from that happy that we'd matched them in most areas and more than happy at the shift put in by the Strikers who I thought might fall a little short this year.

Suarez was excellent, and we were missing Sleath first half but settled in the second half.  I think the defence looks wobbly at times, but we won't face a side that pings it around sweetly in the BSN,  most teams go for the juggular straight off so I'm not sure how we can gauge what we learnt from The Imps today.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
If I was the Manager or Chairman of Lincoln City, I would be more worried about their team than I would be if I was the Managers / Chairman of ours!

Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »
http://audioboo.fm/boos/432121-boston-united-lee-canoville-postmatch

That's yer lot as far as the squad goes I'm afraid.

Bartmac

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »

According to DN, pre-match, we are still talking to young Millson about signing for us, so there must still be a little bit in the pot.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
Would be interesting to know how great the budget cut was. However, I don't think the managers have shown much scouting ability with their signings of ex-pilgrims, 2 from the reserve team Ward didn't start a league game last year and Stones started one so they can't have been good enough last year and from the other players that came in Holsgrove sent his CV to BUFC and Milnes agent just happened to be JL's neighbor.

Hoping the squad we have will gel together and we will have another play-off season but with the amount of goals we seem to be conceding in pre-season we may have to score 3 or 4 goals ourselves to win a game, much in contrast to last season where we won so many 1-0.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:53:21 AM by Lee Newell »

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »

According to DN, pre-match, we are still talking to young Millson about signing for us, so there must still be a little bit in the pot.
But with all due respect to Milly,midfield is not the area that most needs strengthening.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Difficult to tel if budget is well spent or not unless you know the size of the budget.

Bartmac

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Can anyone explain why Bastock has to kick out at the hoarding or goal posts every time he let's in a goal, and why, like most goalies does he have to blame the defence for goals that he should take responsiblilty for, like two of them yesterday, then he seemed to rave at young Ward, that won't do the young lad's confidence any good - bring back Hayward!!!(although, in retrospect, that comment won't do Drury's confidence much good either ::))

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »
Consider the squad we used in the play off games, who were nearly good enough to go up:
Paul Bastock, Shane Clarke, Lee Canoville, Kevin Austin, Kieran Murphy, Shaun Pearson, Gareth Jelleyman, Ryan Semple, Anthony Church, Danny Sleath, Jamie Yates, Adam Boyes, Spencer Weir-Daley, Jason Lee, James Cullingworth, Mickey Stones, Stef Frost, Danny Davidson, Lawrie Dudfield

The changes have essentially been:
Hall, Wilkinson, Milnes replace Clarke, Church, Yates
Ward, Parker, Fairclough replace Pearson, Murphy, Cullingworth
Holsgrove, Joachim, Suarez replace SWD, Davidson, Dudfield
Plus a fit Newsham will be like an extra player as we missed him most of last year
Plus Stones will be given a chance to see if he can score consistently - whatever you think of him, he's started one league game and has one goal - he might not have the all round game of some other strikers, but can we afford to ignore a goalscorer?

As others have said, the one area we seem to be lacking is central defence - none of Canoville, Parker or Austin have great fitness records, and there is no pace at all.  Not seen Ward, so he could be the next Pearson for all I know - about the same age as Pearson was when he joined us I think?  But I'd like another centre back with experience in this division.  At least Bazza has plenty of experience of playing behind a dodgy defence!

Roll on next Saturday so we can see how the new team looks in a proper game.  I'm always optimistic at this stage, but we shouldn't forget we have started slowly (especially at home) in the last couple of seasons, so we need to be patient.

Poros

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »
By the amount of moaning going on here, I guess most of you must be female!

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 07:02:10 PM »
Milly has signed
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Consider the squad we used in the play off games, who were nearly good enough to go up:
Paul Bastock, Shane Clarke, Lee Canoville, Kevin Austin, Kieran Murphy, Shaun Pearson, Gareth Jelleyman, Ryan Semple, Anthony Church, Danny Sleath, Jamie Yates, Adam Boyes, Spencer Weir-Daley, Jason Lee, James Cullingworth, Mickey Stones, Stef Frost, Danny Davidson, Lawrie Dudfield

The changes have essentially been:
Hall, Wilkinson, Milnes replace Clarke, Church, Yates
Ward, Parker, Fairclough replace Pearson, Murphy, Cullingworth
Holsgrove, Joachim, Suarez replace SWD, Davidson, Dudfield
Plus a fit Newsham will be like an extra player as we missed him most of last year
Plus Stones will be given a chance to see if he can score consistently - whatever you think of him, he's started one league game and has one goal - he might not have the all round game of some other strikers, but can we afford to ignore a goalscorer?

As others have said, the one area we seem to be lacking is central defence - none of Canoville, Parker or Austin have great fitness records, and there is no pace at all.  Not seen Ward, so he could be the next Pearson for all I know - about the same age as Pearson was when he joined us I think?  But I'd like another centre back with experience in this division.  At least Bazza has plenty of experience of playing behind a dodgy defence!

Roll on next Saturday so we can see how the new team looks in a proper game.  I'm always optimistic at this stage, but we shouldn't forget we have started slowly (especially at home) in the last couple of seasons, so we need to be patient.

Fairclough isnt slow and where was the pace at the back last season??

Bartmac

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »
By the amount of moaning going on here, I guess most of you must be female!

No, we're not suffering from PMT just PST! (Pre Season Tension) and there's no effective treatment for it ;)

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 08:39:33 PM »
Fairclough isnt slow and where was the pace at the back last season??

Agreed - it was a problem last season as well, but Pearson and Murphy were quicker than Canners and Austin.  Jellyman is no slouch either, but our likely centre backs are Canners, Austin and Parker - no pace there and that will hurt us in some games