Author Topic: Jamie Yates says leaving Boston for Gainsborough was a 'hard decision'  (Read 8912 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
SportsEcho Image: SportsEcho
Monday, May 30, 2011, 07:00

Jamie Yates says leaving Boston for Gainsborough was a 'hard decision'
WINGING HIS WAY TO TRINITY: Jamie Yates has left Boston United for Gainsborough. David Shipman.

WINGING HIS WAY TO TRINITY: Jamie Yates has left Boston United for Gainsborough. David Shipman.

JAMIE YATES says switching allegiances from Boston United to Gainsborough Trinity was the "hardest decision of my life".

The winger made the shock move from the Blues' Blue Square Bet (North) rivals over the weekend and admitted it was the toughest dilemma he had faced, not only in his football career, but in his whole life.

"I spoke with Brian Little (Gainsborough manager) and I spoke with the two joint-managers at Boston, Lee Canoville and Jason Lee," said Yates.

"I explained to them I had another offer and it was an exciting one and they totally understood.

"I have to say that both managers were absolutely first class, I left Boston on good terms.

"It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make in football and in my life. I had grown to love the club, the players, the fans and everything about it.

"But I was devastated when we missed out on promotion and I thought it was probably time I gave myself a fresh challenge."

It was not the first time the skills of the Sheffield-based winger had been courted by Gainsborough, with the Blues tempting the 22-year-old in previous years.

"I had a chance to sign for Trinity when Steve Charles was their boss, but I ended up going elsewhere," said Yates.

"But this time, I was impressed with what Brian (Little) had to say.

"Brian and chairman Peter Swann have a vision for the club and they are very ambitious.

"He (Little) didn't mention any names to me, but he did spell out what they are trying to do and the type of players they are trying to bring to the club.

"They had a disappointing campaign last time, but next season they want to have younger and more hungry players and I thought I fitted into that category."

After finishing in a disappointing 18th place in Blue Square Bet (North) last season, the Blues' management team, which now includes new youth development officer Steve Housham, will be conducting a massive rebuilding job during the summer.

Many would question the wisdom of a decision to make the move north given the huge gulf in league position last season – but Yates says he is moving for a new challenge.

"There are a few reasons for my decision," Yates added. "It makes more sense in terms of geography, because it's much easier to get to Gainsborough from my home in Sheffield than it is to get to Boston.

"But it really was all about the fresh challenge, there is certainly no rift behind the scenes between the new joint-managers at Boston and myself.

"I was delighted when Jason and Lee got the job, I knew Jason well from playing with him before.

"It will certainly be interesting when we play Boston in the coming season, but it will be just the same as playing anyone else it terms of wanting to win.

"All my intentions are to do well for Gainsborough,."

Trinity have also snapped up goalkeeper Andy Pettinger, formerly of Brigg Town.

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
"But this time, I was impressed with what Brian (Little) had to say."

Did it go something like "I'll write numbers down on this bit of paper and you nod when it's too good to refuse" ££

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile

"Brian and chairman Peter Swann have a vision for the club and they are very ambitious.

but next season they want to have younger and more hungry players and I thought I fitted into that category.

Can't think where the genius came up with that plan?

So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Are these the plans that spend more time on the back shelve,

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Glad he's gone, I thought he was a bottler who went hiding too often.

Shown his true colour's there, it has to be about money, who'd go there for anything other than the cash that clown Swann chucks about?

Adam

• View Profile
It's clearly 100% about money, there is no other reason why anyone would make that move. Fair play to some extent - for these guys who aren't already earning £50k p/w doubling your paycheque must make a massive difference to their lives. Gainsborough will be crap as long as Litttle is in charge, he's about as effective at this level as TT was in the Unidump.

Yatesy had already had a few clubs before us and I think most of us would've had him down as one of the players most likely to jump shop for cash. Fine. He might earn more than he did with us but personally don't think he's quite good enough for professional football - so he'll probably never play in front of bigger crowds or in a better team than he did last year. If he had ambition in football he needed BUFC more than we needed him.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
The offer from Gainsboro  "was a exciting one "      TRANSLATED    more money than I expected anyone to offer me .     Don,t blame you for taking the mugs money Jamie , see you back at YS on loan (with most your wages paid by boro )   about next Jan/Feb  ..

"Spoke to the two managers ,  they were absolutely first class "     Translated :  maybe means they were not too sorry to see him go .

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
New challenge eh? Well, he's got that right (let's hope we don't end up with egg on our collective faces come May!).

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
pmsl.
That has to be the first time the words vision/ambition/Gainsborough Trinity have ever appeared in the same sentence.ffs Jamie just man up and tell the truth,it's about the £££

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Always thought Yates wasn't the brainest footballer around! He's proved now to join the idiots at Gainsborough! Probably the thought of playing infront of 26 away fans swayed it!

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
I personally would have thought that changing a part-time job for another, closer to home and for twice the money shows a certain amount of intelligence. As ive said on another post if any of our players double their income for full time footie, will they get the same stick,hope not. Just hope the club were on the ball and we got some sort of fee.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:00:57 PM by faraway pilgrim »

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Can't blame Yatesy, alot less travelling and alot more money. To be fair to Brian Little he did say in an inteview with BBC Lincs before the season finished that he looked at the top sides in this league and most played with young energetic players instead of experienced players (such as ourselfs) and this is what he was going to try and emulate this coming season.

Pride of Lincolnshire

Best of luck to Jamie, the poor lads got to work with that football "genius" sid little. I wouldn't do that if you trippled my wage.

Maxross

• View Profile
You can't blame a guy for leaving if his travelling is halved and income doubled, especially in the current financial climate!  Good luck to the guy!

You'd have to question the wisdom of those running Gainsborough though.  It seems to be quite an inefficient recruitment policy when you could have found somebody equally as good for half the money with a bit of research.  I'm inclined to believe that players who have yet to prove themselves at a level are a better bet.  With many clubs struggling financialy in the higher leagues, there are plenty of good young players available which should give shrewd managers the opportunity to build a strong hungry squad within a reasonable budget.  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:36:18 PM by Maxross »

pilgrim4life

• View Profile
cant really say im too bothered by this. he was good at times but it was only at times.