Author Topic: Best set of forwards since?  (Read 8095 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Best set of forwards since?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 09:45:12 PM »
Fond memorys there Bunyan but you overlooked a great midfieler in Brian Clifton (ex southampton )

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »
Yes Clifton was a polished midfielder and whilst we are in nostalgia mode one could also add the experience of Goalie Ken Oxford, Full back Geoff (Penalty King) Barrowcliffe and not forgetting the steadying hand of the player manager Don Donovan.

I don't remember Baker much and was never a great fan of Paddy Roche who I seem to recall got sent off fairly regularly.

Bob Lee

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 08:35:35 AM »
I think it was Paddy who got his leg broke in our very first game in the newly formed Northern Premier league.  From the silkiness of the West midlands league to the cloggers of the north, we had arrived ;)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 08:42:03 AM »
I think it was Paddy who got his leg broke in our very first game in the newly formed Northern Premier league.  From the silkiness of the West midlands league to the cloggers of the north, we had arrived ;)

It was Billy Cobb, see:

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/C100868.html

Monty

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
Stuart Douglas gets my vote.

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 09:41:40 AM »
Who will ever forget that first match in the the NPL.

Boston (We'll try and play football) United 2 Macclesfield (Kick'em hard-kick'em High) Town 1. (ATT 2867)

As well as Cobb having his leg broken  I see that my memory of Roche seems fairly accurate as 'Paddy Roche was sent off for an innocuous foul that was nowhere near as bad as many of the offences perpetrated by other players earlier in the game.'

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »
Stuart Douglas gets my vote.
Hey leave Douggy alone-he's still playing higher up the pyramid than we are(at the moment) ;D ;D

Bob Lee

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
You are right as always Ken ;)  But i did notice an ex England and United forward in the macclesfield ranks.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »
Wasn't Billy Cobbs injury vs Macc a broken shoulder or collar bone rather than a broken leg??That's what my dad said anyway-me........i'm far to young to remember....................... ;)

Bob Lee

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 11:24:40 AM »
I had, had several pints before the game hence the wrong player.  Never mind we won the game.