Author Topic: Boston vs Cambridge  (Read 4486 times)

swineshead pilgrim!

• View Profile
Boston vs Cambridge
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:24:38 AM »
Would somebody who went last night be able to say a bit about the game as i couldnt go due to work and there are no highlights of pre season, thankyou

Also would just like to say i am pleased we have now signed galinski, looks another good solid addition

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boston vs Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »

Our starting eleven last night bore no resemblence to the side we can expect to see at Stockport, and we never really got going and Cambridge were the best side. With Garner unable to play and Galinksi visibly limping during the warm-up and not involved at all, we started with a central defensive combination of Conor Marshall and Carl Piergianni. We also had James Reed in midfield and Jordan Nuttell initially up front. Our more experienced players - Ian Ross, Marc Newsham, Ricky Miller, etc., were on the bench.

I thought the two central defenders were probably slightly at fault for the first goal. Reed lost the ball initially, but then the Cambridge striker outpaced our central defenders with the ball and slotted it past Timms. If the ball goes past the central defender then the defender has to block the run; when both ball and player go past you've got a problem. But it was a new defensive partnership that hadn't played together before and they're both young players, so better to learn now rather than at Stockport. In my opinion Marshall should be restored to the right back berth by the time the proper matches come around, and the two first choice central defenders will probably be Garner and Galinski (if confirmed as signed). Reed, as much as he wants to play, will probably be the one that drops out to accommodate Ross.

Second goal came via a cross from Cambridge's left wing which fizzed across our box. Timms had no chance. The striker was quicker to the ball.

We brought Miller, Newsham and Ross on at half time and started to look a bit better. Miller's movement off the ball was good, and Newsham had a shot into the side netting. We won a corner, which Netan Sensara took and which the Cambridge striker then inavertendly headed into his own net. But at that stage we deserved the goal.

Cambridge scored two late goals. The first was a ferocious free-kick which gave Sam Vince no chance. Then there was a late penalty conceded by Peter Bore. I remember him as a more attacking player for Grimsby and Harrogate, but am not yet convinced he's our best option at right back. No doubt it was a penalty. It probably would have been a yellow card as well if the match had been competitive. (Ben Fairclough would have picked one up as well for a late challenge in the first half).

Disappointing result, but still a good workout against a strong Cambridge side. I think this was pretty much their first team, although Adam Cunnington (one of the best strikers in non-league) wasn't in the side. Both their forwards had plenty of pace and, reading the programme notes, one of them played for Leeds United as a 16-year-old.

Incidentally where have you read / heard about Galinski signing? I haven't seen it anywhere. Whether him or someone else, last night did prove that we do need another recognised central defender. We ended the game with Charlie Ward in defence, who it looks like is out of our reserve side.

What's happened to Lewis Sturman? He came through our youth and reserve side over the past few seasons and was tipped for a bright future, even having trials with Norwich. He was sub at Lincoln United this time last week and, in a match where we were short of defensive options, I'd have expected him to have been involved at some stage last night. But he wasn't there and seems to have disappeared from our reserves' squad page.

Chelsea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:40:45 AM »
Team need a striker SWD swagger and nothing else, Nuttal and Saunders not ready yet

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 08:30:50 AM »
Team need a striker SWD swagger and nothing else, Nuttal and Saunders not ready yet

I agree the growing evidence is now indisputable, neither are ready yet, especially Nuttal, the haven't grasped the need or the importance of holding the ball at all, but you can't and I hope no one does, blame them for the rubbish that these last three friendlies have served up. Like Leeds X1 Saturday, but without the class, Cambridge were drilled and very organised and we deserved the thumping, but the 4-5-1 tactics Greene is employing are simply not working

I missed the Lincoln game, but in the three since, we had 4,5 shots at Spalding, two against Leeds and two last night, hardly surprising though when DG spends all match screaming at everyone including SWD, Fairclough, Millar and co to constantly track back to the extent that they are defending ten yards from our goal line, what madness is this!
In Sensara and Bore we have two really good and attacking full backs who have rarely crossed the half way line these past two games and collectively a midfield who appear to be under orders not to do the same and its all very frustrating.

I think DG has gathered some very good players, but his tactics are just too defensive, dare I suggest negative.

Forget the results in these matches they are pretty meaningless, and yes as a learning curve it was a good workout, but my concern, even though we are playing great football in our own half, is that our forward passes are getting longer and higher, and I don't want to spend my tenner watching it. I cant afford it. I was so looking forward to the new season but I am afraid to say from what I have seen it appears a straight replication of the rubbish we witnessed at the end of the last one

I'll go to Grantham tomorrow, and because Mrs G is away Saturday will take in the Mansfield game but if things don't improve I will save my money for the league campaign and hope that by then DG realises that this style of football is I fear likely to see us struggle again. A lot more friendlies planned to change things, to get things right ,so lets hope he does.

4-4-2 please! Pre-season rant over  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:35:25 AM by B Grimes »

Seenbetter

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:14:49 AM »
Got to agree with you BG. Not enough going on at the sharp end. One up front is no good and young Charlie (the elbow) Sanders certainly isn't the answer. We do have some good signings and the framework of a good side but we are definitely missing something up front. These friendlies should be teaching DG how to use the players he has assembled and where he is lacking punch. A few more games to improve before the season starts. Lets hope DG can see what a lot of other folks are seeing from the seats and stands.

swineshead pilgrim!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »
Thankyou, thats the problem i think when we play sanders, everytime the back line or ross or mills get the ball you can see they are looking for sanders in the air and im sorry hes a big lad but against some of the ogres in this league he will get knocked about everytime, plus he wouldnt even score 5 goals this season, harsh but true

craig annouced galinksi had put pen to paper last night after the game

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »
WE were good against Lincoln unt. GREENE disappointed only 2 goals against them after citys 7 never mind.

WE were very good against spalding 3 leages below us but still only 2 goals for us.

WE were very poor against Cambridge just 1 league above us.

our worry is our management had no idea our to get us out of jail last night,and it could have been a lot worse.

WE have players that believe they  can and should be playing hyer than boston and as GREENE says with good pedigree so were were thay last night,at least Cambridge did us a favour and gave us a very good goal.

I never saw the leeds game they say we were good against them.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:40:54 PM by miele »

bostonian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
WE were good against Lincoln unt. GREENE disappointed only 2 goals against them after citys 7 never mind.

WE were very good against spalding 3 leages below us but still only 2 goals for us.

our worry is our management had no idea our to get us out of jail last night,and it could have been a lot worse.

WE have players that believe they  can and should be playing hyer than boston and as GREENE says with good pedigree so were were thay last night,at least Cambridge did us a favour and gave us a very good goal.

this is only pre season and its all about being ready come the first league game.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »

Hows the golf gome this week miele ?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
Must have had my eye shut last night then. I didnt think we looked that bad last night, Pen and 3 kick was not so they was gifted 2 goals. 1st half we wasnt so good but second half when we switched to more attacking and not containment football i thought we did okay and most teams in our league would be at a loss. for what its worth cufc have splashed the cash a bit this season and have a few good players in there ranks

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »
It appears to me that we are having games every Tuesday and Thursday plus Saturdays and are spending far too little time on the training pitch, when was the last time a full training session took place? It seems obvious that on occasions we look badly organised, Last night a wall was formed with a course of bricks missing allowing Cambridge a big hole to score from the free kick, some lovely balls were passed down the channels with the strikers looking at each other wondering who should have been on the way, we have seen Sansara and Rossy both wanting to take the free kicks. Games are ok for general fitness but I also think training and getting to know each other in a non combat situation plus working on set pieces are just as important.
This is not moaning just a constructive comment as if we can get this squad working together knowing what each others role is and being confident in each other I think we can have a good season.