Author Topic: Pre war match programmes  (Read 4422 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Pre war match programmes
« on: April 25, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
I've just scanned and added three pre-war match programmes (courtesy of Andy Butler's brilliant collection) to my web site.

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/prog35.html - 1935/6
http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/prog36.html - 1936/7
http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/prog37.html - 1937/8

The adverts are as interesting as the editorials and team info!

Many thanks for the loan Andy - I'll let you have them back on Saturday.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pre war match programmes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
Interesting how the front of the programme gives the club headquarters as the White Hart Hotel. From the club history I knew there were origins with the Coach and Horses and the Indian Queen, but I never knew there was a connection with the White Hart.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
That reminds me to dig out the handbooks and a few other interesting bits of ephemera for Saturday.......you can peruse them over the summer at your leisure.

I can't really believe the condition of those programmes, they are fantastic........I also noted with interest a 37/8 home v Grantham sold at auction last month for £147........there's around 70 programmes in those 3 Pre War binders...... many against much more collectable opposition. :)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »
In the 35/6 issue I notice that Greswell's the butchers phone number was Boston 8.........the 8th telephone in town!!!!!

I've a pre war issue from Alford and again all the phone numbers are single and double digit.... and all below 50.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 08:22:25 AM »
Thanks Ken and Andy.......an interesting read.

Not too sure about the advert for a combined builder and undertaker though?

Gus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 09:52:51 AM »
Traditionally, Builders and Joiners were also undertakers.

Having been in the timber and building trade for over 45 years, I remember it was mostly the case, and certainly in surrounding villages.

Back in 1977 after Trenery's were taken over by May & Hassell, I was offered the managers job at one of their most outlying branches, a small timber merchant they had just taken over in Wigton, Cumbria, and 40% of their business was the sale of coffin boards to builders.

Needless to say, I turned it down, and am still in Boston. Wigton looked a right mess on a wet and windy day.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
A few notes from the 1935/6 season programmes.

Club becomes a Limited Company. Capital of £600 - half taken by committee under chairmanship of Mr E. J. Malkinson. Shares offered at 5/- each. Directorship for 40 shares.

Shilling Fund inaugurated to retain some of previous season's players. Sum of £54/6/0 raised.

First match programme sold 750 copies at 1d each.

Receipts from Trial Match allocated: St John's Ambulance Brigade £11/6/3; Lincs Benevolant Fund £12; Boston Hospital £11/6/3; Police Poor Children's Clothing Fund £5.

Rumour that Frank Bungay didn't play in home game against Grantham due to certain events that happened between him and some Grantham players the previous season. Rumour denied. Real reason given that he was under doctor's orders not to play with a knee injury.

Controversy at game at Rotherham. Bungay badly fouled and taken off for twenty-five minutes of which he was unconscious for at least ten. Bugg was then sent off for a foul - the first decision against him all game. Then Bungay also sent off. Boston lost 2-0. Bugg and Bungay subsequently both suspended for three games.

Mr E. J. Malkinson purchases the tenantright of the ground for four more years from the Grimsby Greyhound Company.

Bungay reported he had a cracked rib but had played a match against Scunthorpe without complaint. Anthony Bird signed to fill in while Bungay recovered.

A supporter who was unable to make the trip to Hitchin for the FA Cup game gave the equivalent of his train fare and admission to the ground to the funds of the club.

Club received £116/5/0 after expenses following the FA Cup game at Crewe.

Boys from H.M. Detention Camp at Freiston Shore invited to home league matches. Boston reserve team manager Paddy McConnell would also visit the camp and give lectures on football.

Before the Lincs Senior Cup match against Scunthorpe the Mayor of Boston (Mr S. Wain) was noticed paying entry for a number of unemployed supporters. After this good deed he made his way to the popular side of the ground to watch the game, which he appeared to enjoy.

Fund raising Whist Drive and Dance held at Hubbert's Bridge Recreation Room. Tickets 1/6 including free conveyance on buses from Boston Market Place. Music supplied by the Regent Rhythm Boys.

Supporters' Club Annual Dance at the Assembly Rooms on Easter Monday from 8pm to 2am. The Collegians band engaged. Refreshments supplied by the "Axe and Cleaver" and "Messrs. W. Leafe and Son". Prizes offered for spot waltzes and the rooms tasefully decorated. Admission 2/6, double 4/6.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
A few notes from the 1936/7 programmes:

Reported that club nearly folded during the close season after making heavy losses.

A letter from a Grantham supporter recounted a remark made by a working man at Boston's ground: "The referee missed an obvious foul, when a spectator bawled out: 'Ref., don't you know a d____ foul unless it's got feathers on?'"

Chairman Mr E.J. Malkinson suspended by the FA over irregularities in the transfer of J.Horton. Mr T. Pickering now at the helm.

Mr J. Ostler takes over as Club Secretary following the resignation of Mr L. Rogers.

Three Mayors present at the FA Cup game against Newark - those of Boston, Grantham and Newark.

Freddy Tunstall a very keen angler. Before playing against Newark he decided to try and catch some pike to take his mind off the game. He soon had four pike taking the bait, but unfortunately each one broke off and he returned home empty handed. To make up for his bad luck he had the satisfaction of seeing two beauties in the net in the afternoon - goals not pike.

Jack Cocker transferred to the Arsenal on Wednesday 9th December. Travelled down to Highbury with the Chairman, Mr T. Pickering, the Secretary and Team Manager to sign the necessary transfer.

For the game at Scunthorpe on Boxing Day it was expected that several supporters would make the journey on the bus which conveyed the players and some of their wives, but no one turned up. A very enjoyable time was passed in the bus thanks to community singing ably led by Bill Wilson and Tommy Bradbury and the twins.

Three of the club's directors resign over the manner in which the affairs of the club are being conducted.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
Yeah in 70s Gosberton the builder was the undertaker and the barber was the postman...

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:13:47 PM »
A few notes from the 1937/8 programmes.

Signed Bill Harvey from Chesterfield. If he had joined a League club a transfer fee of £500 would have been payable but as he joined Boston the fee wasn't paid.

Freddy Tunstall took over the managerial duties. He had also had been hard at work in the close season. Improvements outside the ground including cinder paths laid from the main entrance to the enclosure. The dressing rooms rooms cleaned and painted throughout.

Half time entertainment provided by the Boston Prize Silver Band.

The players took on the Central Park Bowls Team in a bowls match in the park and were beaten by the more experienced players but thoroughly enjoyed the game. Two weeks previously they had also played cricket against St. Botolph's on the Park and had proved to be useful with the bat and ball.

Supporters' Club start selling chocolate and cigarettes at half time supplementing the usual fare of rolls and cups of tea.

Huddersfield Town came to Boston to play a friendly match as part of the terms of the transfer of Horton the previous season. Gate receipts for the match amounted to £97.

Disasterous fire at Shodfriars Lane. Dressing rooms burnt down. Mr Malkinson came to the rescue by converting his large cook-house at his kennels into new dressing rooms.

The Supporters' Club Dance on Easter Monday at the Assembly Rooms featured a personal appearance of Thornelli the accordian wizard and his band.

Louth Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:32:30 PM »
I also note that in December 1938, Mr J Blackwell took on the role of Club Secretary. This year he will have been in post 75yrs.

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 08:21:54 AM »
Chairman Mr E.J. Malkinson suspended by the FA over irregularities in the transfer of J.Horton. Mr T. Pickering now at the helm.

As they say ...like father like son !