Author Topic: On the road to nowhere.....  (Read 5886 times)

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
On the road to nowhere.....
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »
And quite frankly we've been on that same road ALL season.......despite their vast football league experience and despite the fact that they are decent guys JL and LC have been unable to deliver a competitive team to the paying public....whilst the club seems to be progressing well off field with good sponsors etc,on the field where it counts the club urgently needs a change of direction.....we are going backwards.....compare the BUFC and GTFC teams who played each other today at YS with the same two teams who played each other at The Northolme at Christmas....one team has got stronger,one is falling apart at the seams......supporters won't put up with these totally inadequate performances and today's gate which included 146ish from GT showed that.....

I say,we need to change the managers.... otherwise gates will be down to 800 next season...

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: On the road to nowhere.....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
Compare the bottom lines, they've under achieved massively for what they've paid. Comparing Trinity to us is rude and disrespectful.  Newton is building something based on foundations and community, where as Swan has the back of a fag packet and a wedge of money.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »
Much is said about the budget of BUFC and other clubs.

How much do BUFC pay their players compared to others in the league?

Are GT really paying considerably more than us?

Boston's biggest problem I would suspect - with part time players - is its location, rather than pay.

And why on a tight budget do we persist with two managers for the second year running?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:10:56 PM »
Much is said about the budget of BUFC and other clubs.

How much do BUFC pay their players compared to others in the league?

Are GT really paying considerably more than us?

Boston's biggest problem I would suspect - with part time players - is its location, rather than pay.

And why on a tight budget do we persist with two managers for the second year running?

I simply compare the type of player.  There  doesn't seem one without a bit of pedigree.  I've spoken to one of their players who played today earlier in the season and he openly admitted he chose them over us simply on money.

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
Compare the bottom lines, they've under achieved massively for what they've paid. Comparing Trinity to us is rude and disrespectful.  Newton is building something based on foundations and community, where as Swan has the back of a fag packet and a wedge of money.

With respect LCB I am NOT comparing BUFC with GT.....I was comparing the performances and progress of both teams since the meeting at The Northolme....GT have moved it up a gear or too and we've gone into reverse....I agree DN is building something based on foundations and community....and to a certain degree he has achieved that already,and very successfully too.....the club has active sponsors and lots going on in the community.......it's on the field performances which urgently need to improve and IMO they won't unless we get a change of management and direction......that's my opinion,rightly or wrongly....the league table and attendance numbers don't lie.....

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »

With respect LCB I am NOT comparing BUFC with GT.....I was comparing the performances and progress of both teams since the meeting at The Northolme....GT have moved it up a gear or too and we've gone into reverse....I agree DN is building something based on foundations and community....and to a certain degree he has achieved that already,and very successfully too.....the club has active sponsors and lots going on in the community.......it's on the field performances which urgently need to improve and IMO they won't unless we get a change of management and direction......that's my opinion,rightly or wrongly....the league table and attendance numbers don't lie.....

The last thing any of us wants is another 'boom or bust' scenario.......however I think the time has come for a change as its just not worked with there two.

However laudable the efforts of the club to build off the pitch are ultimately its on the pitch where we should be judged, and we've come up way too short this season and nothing I've seen in the last 6 weeks or convinces me that these two are up to a promotion push next season. Assuming we lose the next two games to the top two thats 7 defeats, a win and a draw in the last 9, relegation form however you look at it........we've limped home and even though we've heard of budget cuts the budget on offer here must be the envy of most clubs at this level. It can only be down to bad management.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
Steve Housham appeared to admit on Radio City that GTs budget is much bigger than Boston,s
As dc says Boston is not a good place to attract players to ,  travel time and expences mean high wage demands .
Little wonder Newton is looking to recruit more local talent , Stanfield and Ward being a decent start .
With Canners past his sell-by date playing wise maybe the way forward would be to release him from the club as player and manager .
With the view of recruiting and developing more local players would it be a good idea to offer Mick Nuttall the job of JL,s assistant ?
More cost effective too I would think.
Just an idea ,  at least I am attempting naming a alternative management team

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »
Do GT pay £1500 pw rent?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Northolme belongs to supporters club and Swan pays them 20k a year rent.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »
I totally agree that we need a change of managers as I have said previously. Even though we had a little run after Christmas it was as a result of injuries etc and not a planned move by the management, indeed today's game was very much like watching early season games, particularly in the second half when Lee brought himself on and we reverted to hoof ball.
Sorry, but today confirmed what we already knew ie: The managers are not up to it, we are a shambles, which is a great shame because we have half a dozen good players, but they must be totally confused when they go out to play as there never appears to be a plan A or B.
Sad, but this is probably the first time I have looked forward to the season ending. But even worse is the thought that these two will be retained and we will have to look forward to more of the same.
Act quickly please David and give us a reason to feel optimistic for next year or people will lose their enthusiasm and vote with their feet.

get in

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »
Can you lot stop comparing Boscum to the Pride of Lincolnshire Gainsborough as we are miles in front of you lot

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 11:05:07 PM »
Quote from: get in
as we are miles in front of you lot

That'll be the cheap buses, always do need a head start on a coach trip, what with loo stops & moto's to visit

Seenbetter

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
As we all know Mr Newton is trying to stabilise the club, build good foundations for the club and at the same time plan a ground move. I have said it before and I repeat that we cannot afford promotion until those three things have been achieved. We are constantly being told we operate on a small budget but we don't know how that budget compares with the budgets of other clubs in this league and cannot therefor make a judgement on wether it's a small budget or not.
The first thing must be to stabilise the club financially.
The second thing must be to achieve a ground move.
The third thing will then be to achieve promotion.
All this may take 3, 4 or even 5 years.
So with that in mind JL LC will probably keep their positions to keep the team in the league we are in for a few more seasons because I don't think they are able to do any better and that suits the long term plan.
LC said something along the lines that we looked more threatening today when JL went on the pitch. What nonsense. We looked worse at that point and he stands more chance of being sent off than saving the day. Nice guys they may be but a long way off being successful managers.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 12:02:32 AM »
As we all know Mr Newton is trying to stabilise the club, build good foundations for the club and at the same time plan a ground move. I have said it before and I repeat that we cannot afford promotion until those three things have been achieved. We are constantly being told we operate on a small budget but we don't know how that budget compares with the budgets of other clubs in this league and cannot therefor make a judgement on wether it's a small budget or not.
The first thing must be to stabilise the club financially.
The second thing must be to achieve a ground move.
The third thing will then be to achieve promotion.
All this may take 3, 4 or even 5 years.
So with that in mind JL LC will probably keep their positions to keep the team in the league we are in for a few more seasons because I don't think they are able to do any better and that suits the long term plan.
LC said something along the lines that we looked more threatening today when JL went on the pitch. What nonsense. We looked worse at that point and he stands more chance of being sent off than saving the day. Nice guys they may be but a long way off being successful managers.

I can see both sides of the Lee argument,  he hit the bar and won lots in the air, but we stopped pinging it around, it was pinging it around that were making the crosses Lee would have thrived on.