Author Topic: Danny Sleath to miss the start of Boston United’s league campaign  (Read 2715 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile

Danny Sleath to miss the start of Boston United’s league campaign

Published on Thursday 14 July 2011 07:00 Standard

DANNY Sleath will miss the first four matches of Boston United’s Blue Square Bet North season - after being selected to represent Great Britain in the World University Games.

The midfielder admits he will be upset not to play his part as the season kicks off - but says representing his country in China is an experience he cannot turn down.

“I explained the situation to the managers and, although they’d rather I didn’t go, they and the chairman know this is an opportunity of a lifetime for me,” Sleath told The Standard.

“I’m happy to know I go there with the club’s blessing.”

Loughborough University student Sleath was selected for the final squad after impressing at trials held for 40 invited footballers last month.

Ex-Pilgrims Anthony Church and Kieran Murphy also made the cut, although Church seems unlikely to fly out to Asia after signing a professional contract with Grimsby Town.

The Universiade will be held in Shenzhen, where a custom-built village has been created for competitors from across the globe.

Sleath will miss the Pilgrims’ away matches at Workington and Nuneaton Town, plus the home fixtures against Histon and Vauxhall Motors.

He will also be unavailable for the pre-season friendly against Wigan as the 24-year-old will be taking part in a GB training camp in Sweden.

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: Danny Sleath to miss the start of Boston United’s league campaign
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:42:58 PM »
"Opportunity of a lifetime"- So is playing for the Pilgrims mate ;D ;D

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:17:03 PM »
Good luck Sleathy. You should be proud (and BUFC supporters also) that you have been selected to represent your country in any sport at any level.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 06:53:45 AM »
With all due respect he's never likely to get picked to represent his country again so we've really got to bite the bullet and let him go, I know its at an awkward time but it'd be wrong to deny him this opportunity.

BosstickPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:19:48 AM »
Yes good luck sleathy!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »
With all due respect he's never likely to get picked to represent his country again
England C?

Seenbetter

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »
Great opportunity. Perhaps we could pay him a scouting fee and hope he finds some cracking players for us. Anyone who says they wouldn't go if in his boots would be a plonker.