Author Topic: Full-time football persuades midfielder to join the Mariners. Linc Echo  (Read 1666 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Not to be read by those who are not interested in Grimsby Town and the ex Pilgrim players they have signed

ANTHONY CHURCH revealed a desire to pursue his professional football dream played a key role in a switch to Grimsby Town.

The midfielder has played an integral part in the success of Boston United over the past two seasons, scoring the winning goal as the Pilgrims won promotion via the UniBond League Premier Division play-off finals in 2010.

Last season, he produced a series of fine displays as United lost in heartbreaking fashion to Guiseley, on penalty kicks, in the Blue Square Bet North play-off semi-final.

Having completed a degree in economics, business and finance at Loughborough it appeared the popular Londoner would pursue a career outside the game while continuing to play part-time in the south of England.

But when Mariners joint-bosses Paul Hurst and Rob Scott moved for the player they had previously managed at both Ilkeston and Boston, Church jumped at the opportunity.

"I was looking for jobs and the idea was to play semi-professional football as well," said the 23-year-old, whose move to Blundell Park will be resolved when an FA tribunal determine compensation for the switch.

"But Paul and Rob came in for me quite late in the day, about a week ago, and they gave me the chance to do what I've always wanted to do – play professional football.

"I had other offers on the table, at both full-time and part-time clubs, but I went up to Grimsby to have a look around the place. I'd never been there before, so I went up to see if it was the right move for me. Looking at the ground and the training facilities made my mind up for me.

"Paul and Rob obviously had other players to look at but they felt that I would be good to add to the squad.

"This is no disrespect to Boston, but Grimsby are a bigger club. When I knew that Boston were remaining part-time there was no way I could stay, I needed to find something full-time.

"And I've not just come to be a bit-part player, either, I want to be a regular in the first-team."

When his career draws to a close, Church will look back on his time at York Street with fondness.

Affable off the pitch, he was pivotal to the Pilgrims' success on it and leaves with the best wishes of the club.

He also believes the club, now managed by Lee Canoville and Jason Lee, can challenge for promotion again providing they appreciate some of the 'surprise factor' will be lost in Blue Square Bet North this season.

"It's a difficult time with players leaving," said Church, who is joining two former Pilgrims, defender Shaun Pearson and goalkeeper James McKeown, at Blundell Park.

"They can definitely push for promotion again and I honestly want them to do it.

"The only exception for this season is that when we were promoted to Blue Square Bet North we were an unknown quantity. They won't have that this year, but I'm sure Lee Canoville and Jason Lee will know what their targets are.

"I had a great two years at Boston and I'll never forget my time there."