Author Topic: Trip to Sheffield  (Read 4927 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Trip to Sheffield
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:01:41 AM »
Looks like Boston will be making a trip to play Sheffield FC in the Unibond League Cup on Tuesday 12th January.

The last time we went there was in November 1958 in the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup and we won 3-0.

Bob Lee

Re: Trip to Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:04:31 AM »
are they the oldest football club in the world?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »
are they the oldest football club in the world?

They are the oldest club now playing, having been founded in 1857.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_fc

Seenbetter

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:42:24 AM »
On recent cup games form I hope they have the original team so we stand a chance of beating them. ;D ;D

Shodfried

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 07:35:02 PM »
Looks like Boston will be making a trip to play Sheffield FC in the Unibond League Cup on Tuesday 12th January.

The last time we went there was in November 1958 in the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup and we won 3-0.

Team sheet/programme from the game.

cappo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »
On recent cup games form I hope they have the original team so we stand a chance of beating them. ;D ;D
  ;D ;D quality ;D ;D
"till saturday comes"

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 06:46:27 PM »
I realise not many people will go, but the ground is right next to a good pub, the Coach and Horses. You can't see the game from there, but last time I was at Sheffield FC you could nip in at the interval for a swift half.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »
I realise not many people will go, but the ground is right next to a good pub, the Coach and Horses. You can't see the game from there, but last time I was at Sheffield FC you could nip in at the interval for a swift half.

I read that the club bought the pub because they needed a ground and the pub had a football pitch next to it that it used to use for it's own pub team.

With the way the rent is going at York Street it sounds like a strategy that would work in Boston. Are there any pubs with attached football pitches in the Boston area?!  ;D

fcum_91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »
Played them in FA cup this season a great day out  ;D

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »

I read that the club bought the pub because they needed a ground and the pub had a football pitch next to it that it used to use for it's own pub team.

With the way the rent is going at York Street it sounds like a strategy that would work in Boston. Are there any pubs with attached football pitches in the Boston area?!  ;D
There's one I know of.. The Pilgrim Lounge, or something? ;)

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »
Yes Ken Sheffield FC (or "the Club" as they are apparently known) were either playing on Hillsborough Park (next to the Wednesday ground) or at the Don Valley before they went to Dronfield. A mate once regaled me at a Sheffield FC game with how he'd hit that bar playing the Coach and Horses pub team 25 years before. More importantly, the pub has improved since the football club took it over.