Author Topic: M OF THE MATCH AT WITTON  (Read 14201 times)

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: M OF THE MATCH AT WITTON
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
Thanks Ken for the info the usual snide remark from Scotty! So Witton pitch is ideal for two wingers?

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
Thanks Ken for the info the usual snide remark from Scotty! So Witton pitch is ideal for two wingers?

Rarely do get a nice reply on here. Just hear from the non League experts

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 04:36:36 PM »
Just seen its possible to play on a square pitch!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 04:40:15 PM »
Just seen its possible to play on a square pitch!

Unfortunately the rule is that the pitch has to be longer than it is wide... almost square is allowed (91m long, 90m wide).

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »

So according to this graphic from the BBC, the pitch could be 50 yards wide which would only leave a 3 yard gap between the touchlines and the penalty box with the corner circle taking up a third of that?

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2016, 05:17:53 PM »
Tash if you can see both ends from the half way line the game must be started?

It was started.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2016, 09:06:04 PM »

So according to this graphic from the BBC, the pitch could be 50 yards wide which would only leave a 3 yard gap between the touchlines and the penalty box with the corner circle taking up a third of that?

My son has had to play on a pitch like that bloody easy for a winger to cut in and get a pen ;)

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »
Witton's Chairman  explains the abandonment ( just  before the postponement )! Answers a few questions in this thread :

BEHIND THE CHAIR

Good evening everybody and welcome back to the NetDec stadium for a second go at completing our Buildbase FA Trophy 1st round tie against Boston United.

Let me start by clarifying the circumstances surrounding Saturday’s abandonment. The fog that affected much of North Cheshire came down on Saturday morning and the match referee was made of this quickly by our secretary Jeff Metcalfe. The rules around fog state that if the referee can see both goals and linesmen (sorry, assistants) from the halfway line, the game can go ahead. With both teams on-site and ready to play, the referee decided the game could start. Both teams happily agreed with this decision, which in my view was entirely the right one. However the two clubs also agreed a contingency plan in the event of an abandonment. David Newton, Boston’s chairman, and I agreed that in the event of the match being abandoned in the first half a full refund would be offered, but that any abandonment at half time or thereafter would not entitle anyone to a refund. This is in line with FA rules and those in both the NPL and National Leagues.

At half time the referee called representatives from both teams into his room and explained that, in his view, the conditions were deteriorating. Under floodlights, with darkness falling, the referee decided that the game could not continue. This was his decision and his alone. Neither club had any say or influence, so there was nothing that could be done other than to make the relevant announcement as quickly as possible. Had the game been abandoned with, say, 20 minutes to go, the decision would have been even more painful for whichever side led. It is a myth that there is any rule allowing results to stand if a match is abandoned beyond a particular minute. Such an event would be referred to the FA to rule on.

The rules around match proceeds for the FA Trophy are quite clear. They are jointly shared by both clubs after VAT, the visiting team’s travel, match officials’ and other allowable expenses are deducted. There are also rules around minimum admission prices for FA Trophy games. This means that we are now permitted to offer complimentary admission to this evening’s game and that, even if we applied the minimum £5 charge for admission, after paying all the match expenses the two clubs would be sharing a loss. Given that midweek attendances are invariably lower than Saturday ones, our costs would have stayed the same but income would have fallen dramatically, which makes no business sense.

In summary, the game went ahead because the only man with the power to decide otherwise elected to start. The game was abandoned for the same reason. We did not refund admission charges because the two clubs had agreed beforehand not to do so, because neither club can afford to make a loss. Admittedly Witton Albion has benefitted from bar and tea hut takings, but the margins are not massive.

I am sorry if this offends anyone from Witton or Boston, which is not my intention. No-one likes having a wasted journey. However nobody has been conned, ripped off or worse. We go again tonight and, whatever the result, would do the same again should the same circumstances occur.

Enjoy the game.

Mark.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 08:04:54 PM »
Witton's Chairman  explains the abandonment ( just  before the postponement )! Answers a few questions in this thread :

BEHIND THE CHAIR

Good evening everybody and welcome back to the NetDec stadium for a second go at completing our Buildbase FA Trophy 1st round tie against Boston United.

Let me start by clarifying the circumstances surrounding Saturday’s abandonment. The fog that affected much of North Cheshire came down on Saturday morning and the match referee was made of this quickly by our secretary Jeff Metcalfe. The rules around fog state that if the referee can see both goals and linesmen (sorry, assistants) from the halfway line, the game can go ahead. With both teams on-site and ready to play, the referee decided the game could start. Both teams happily agreed with this decision, which in my view was entirely the right one. However the two clubs also agreed a contingency plan in the event of an abandonment. David Newton, Boston’s chairman, and I agreed that in the event of the match being abandoned in the first half a full refund would be offered, but that any abandonment at half time or thereafter would not entitle anyone to a refund. This is in line with FA rules and those in both the NPL and National Leagues.

At half time the referee called representatives from both teams into his room and explained that, in his view, the conditions were deteriorating. Under floodlights, with darkness falling, the referee decided that the game could not continue. This was his decision and his alone. Neither club had any say or influence, so there was nothing that could be done other than to make the relevant announcement as quickly as possible. Had the game been abandoned with, say, 20 minutes to go, the decision would have been even more painful for whichever side led. It is a myth that there is any rule allowing results to stand if a match is abandoned beyond a particular minute. Such an event would be referred to the FA to rule on.

The rules around match proceeds for the FA Trophy are quite clear. They are jointly shared by both clubs after VAT, the visiting team’s travel, match officials’ and other allowable expenses are deducted. There are also rules around minimum admission prices for FA Trophy games. This means that we are now permitted to offer complimentary admission to this evening’s game and that, even if we applied the minimum £5 charge for admission, after paying all the match expenses the two clubs would be sharing a loss. Given that midweek attendances are invariably lower than Saturday ones, our costs would have stayed the same but income would have fallen dramatically, which makes no business sense.

In summary, the game went ahead because the only man with the power to decide otherwise elected to start. The game was abandoned for the same reason. We did not refund admission charges because the two clubs had agreed beforehand not to do so, because neither club can afford to make a loss. Admittedly Witton Albion has benefitted from bar and tea hut takings, but the margins are not massive.

I am sorry if this offends anyone from Witton or Boston, which is not my intention. No-one likes having a wasted journey. However nobody has been conned, ripped off or worse. We go again tonight and, whatever the result, would do the same again should the same circumstances occur.

Enjoy the game.

Mark.

Quite a comprehensive statement and all because I raised the matter of last weeks abandonment when I said that I thought we the supporters had been ripped off in many ways.And now Match postponed at around 7pm when the team and fans had arrived It appears locals were predicting this much earlier in the day. There was to be no catering in the ground for fans, What a surprise nothing wasted there then. Well Chairman Mark lets have another explanation of why the fans were allowed to travel 150 miles when it appears Witton folk predicted it would be off and congratulations on saving money.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
Witton Albion had a league match at home to Carlton Town yesterday. It was abandoned after 70 minutes due to fog!

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2016, 11:43:59 AM »
and they were 1 up too!