Author Topic: DG: I tried to sign Mettam, Sleath and Clarke  (Read 5777 times)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: DG: I tried to sign Mettam, Sleath and Clarke
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
2 cracking players at this level (Sleath and Mettam), and one good player (Clarke). I'm sure DG would have been moaned at for going back to Sleath and Clarke, as ex-Pilgrims...

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »
Balls.

Ah well. Hard to criticise the players really. We’d all drive a bit further if we were getting a fair whack more.

Of course it’s disappointing to miss out on players of this calibre, but that’s life in the Conference North. I know some people like to think Boston are a 'big' club and in many respects we are, but the financial reality is we will not be able to compete with clubs like Tamworth, or the bankrolled village pub teams that pop up every single year only to vanish when their financial backing gets pulled.

So we have to be clever. That’s what Dennis is paid for. If we want to win this league, we’re going to have to do so by spending what we have frugally, make smart use of the loan system, take a couple of gambles (like Timms – didn’t pay off but worth a go) and hope one or two of the youth team can step up to cover when the squad inevitably gets stretched over winter. This approach will never guarantee success, and the wheels may fall off by Christmas, but the simple fact is we can’t spend money we don’t have.

Can someone just hurry up and win the bloody Euromillions? [DISCLAIMER - IF I WIN EUROMILLIONS I'M FECKING OFF TO THE MALDIVES]

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »
All 3 would of been excellent signings but money talks I'm afraid.. Worrying thing for me is DG mentions he needs to add 2 players to the current group of players. Surely we need more players than that??  Maybe IF we get the new planned stadium then we will be able to compete financially and progress??

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 07:36:03 PM »
I cant believe Tamworth were paying twice what we offered these boys surely in part that's a smoke screen, but they would have offered more just for the journey they will have to make. But missing out on three is a bit worrying isn't it?
Also worrying is that Garner,  even though DG praised his loyalty on Twitter a while back, hasn't been officially signed yet, certainly not by contract, why?
As for possibly having the money when we move into a new stadium Shauney G that is so far in the future that its not even worth thinking about

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 07:40:10 PM »

So we have to be clever. That’s what Dennis is paid for. If we want to win this league, we’re going to have to do so by spending what we have frugally, make smart use of the loan system, take a couple of gambles (like Timms – didn’t pay off but worth a go) and hope one or two of the youth team can step up to cover when the squad inevitably gets stretched over winter. This approach will never guarantee success, and the wheels may fall off by Christmas, but the simple fact is we can’t spend money we don’t have.

Exactly right  8)

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »
Balls.

Ah well. and hope one or two of the youth team can step up to cover when the squad inevitably gets stretched over winter. This approach will never guarantee success, and the wheels may fall off by Christmas, but the simple fact is we can’t spend money we don’t
/quote]  did JASON LEE not use youths and reserves players, all it did was get fans on his back and then the sack.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
I cant believe Tamworth were paying twice what we offered these boys surely in part that's a smoke screen, but they would have offered more just for the journey they will have to make. But missing out on three is a bit worrying isn't it?
Also worrying is that Garner,  even though DG praised his loyalty on Twitter a while back, hasn't been officially signed yet, certainly not by contract, why?
As for possibly having the money when we move into a new stadium Shauney G that is so far in the future that its not even worth thinking about
Garner's contract won't end at Cambridge until 30th June.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:21:02 PM »
I thought I read somewhere, it had officially finished two, maybe three weeks ago?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 02:33:08 PM »
Balls.

Ah well. and hope one or two of the youth team can step up to cover when the squad inevitably gets stretched over winter. This approach will never guarantee success, and the wheels may fall off by Christmas, but the simple fact is we can’t spend money we don’t
/quote]  did JASON LEE not use youths and reserves players, all it did was get fans on his back and then the sack.

No such problem for Greene if he pulls off loans like last season !   Remember Agnew & Marr ?
I guess clubs will hold off until start of season before deciding who to loan out .

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
http://www.bostontarget.co.uk/Tamworth-beat-Boston-United-signings-Leon-Mettam/story-21249027-detail/story.html

Just what is DG doing about getting players in. He states in the above article that Tamworth pipped him to the signing of Mettam, Sleath and Clarke by being able to double what He could offer, this is rubbish they have not gone there on huge money indeed Clarke had accepted the offer to come to Boston but I was told that he got messed about that much he threw the towel in.
I really wonder what Ricky Miller thinks about DG going back to him after not landing his number one target Mettam?.
It is being said there is plenty of time yet pre-season training begins on Tuesday so can anyone tell me who is likely to turn up? Why has Garner not signed yet and don't give me his contract ends at Cambridge at the end of this month, he was released at the end of the season.
I'm sorry but there needs to be some urgency shown, I have got my season ticket but unless it can be shown that a squad is being put together that has any chance of competing in this very tough league fans will not be queuing up to purchase.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
http://www.bostontarget.co.uk/Tamworth-beat-Boston-United-signings-Leon-Mettam/story-21249027-detail/story.html

Just what is DG doing about getting players in. He states in the above article that Tamworth pipped him to the signing of Mettam, Sleath and Clarke by being able to double what He could offer, this is rubbish they have not gone there on huge money indeed Clarke had accepted the offer to come to Boston but I was told that he got messed about that much he threw the towel in.
I really wonder what Ricky Miller thinks about DG going back to him after not landing his number one target Mettam?.
It is being said there is plenty of time yet pre-season training begins on Tuesday so can anyone tell me who is likely to turn up? Why has Garner not signed yet and don't give me his contract ends at Cambridge at the end of this month, he was released at the end of the season.
I'm sorry but there needs to be some urgency shown, I have got my season ticket but unless it can be shown that a squad is being put together that has any chance of competing in this very tough league fans will not be queuing up to purchase.

Easy Mel! Keep the faith :)

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 07:55:41 PM »
Someone mentioned that Dennis Greene was going on holiday, abroad somewhere. Maybe that's why it has gone quiet? Don't know where he's gone, maybe Brazil?

picky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »
He has been on holiday chances are if training starts next week most will put pen to paper then.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 10:50:13 PM »
Just out of interest Rossy is going to Belper and I am sure we all wish him the best.