Author Topic: I bet I know what Dr Fox wants for Christmas......  (Read 1828 times)

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: I bet I know what Dr Fox wants for Christmas......
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »
Sad I know, replying to my own post, but......the below link includes a refence to "Boston United" from Saturday 14th January 1928.....a good few years before the name was first thought to have been used in 1933?

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?frontpage=false&sortorder=dayearly&basicsearch=%22boston%20united%22&page=995

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: I bet I know what Dr Fox wants for Christmas......
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:40:01 PM »
I had a look at that after it was announced on the BBC web site last week. It will no doubt be very useful eventually but at the moment it seems rather limited. There aren't many newspapers in the archive yet and most of those cover time periods pre 1933. I was hoping I might at least be able to fill some of the gaps I have of the 1939/40 season as the results are in some of those Nottingham Evening Posts, but I couldn't find any I hadn't already got. Some of the scans weren't brilliant either so the OCR software they are  using was having a few problems as well. It must be quite difficult to do the scans as newspapers tend to be in quite small print with articles spread over columns. How they distinguish between things like league tables and the text and adverts in the columns around them must require some clever algorithms and/or quite a bit of operator intervention and checking.

So I dare say I'll still be making visits to the Boston Library to look at the old Lincolnshire Standards, Guardians etc for a while yet.