Author Topic: Jamie Stevens (Spalding Guardian)  (Read 3950 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Jamie Stevens (Spalding Guardian)
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:37:20 AM »
Published on Tuesday 19 July 2011 09:37

JAMIE Stevens is on the verge of joining Holbeach United after agreeing a one-year deal to move to Carter’s Park.

The defender, who had been on trial with Boston United having left Farnborough at the end of last season, has been training with the Tigers throughout pre-season.

Having come through the ranks with Holbeach, Stevens enjoyed a stint in League Two with the Pilgrims under the charge of Steve Evans.

Tigers boss John Chand, who has sent off the transfer paperwork to the United Counties League, reckons the defender will be a massive signing for the club.

He said: “Jamie has been a target since day one. We made our move as soon as we heard he may be available and have now agreed terms with him.

“He’s proven at a much higher level but wasn’t too keen on the travelling, so we’re obviously delighted to have him on board.

“He’s a massive, massive signing for us and is another talented local lad.

“We want talented young footballers at this club and he fits the bill exactly.

“I know the club is close to his heart and that has helped us pull this deal off.”

Stevens, pictured in his Football League days with Boston, turned down offers from a number of higher-graded clubs to join the Tigers. “Jamma” also lists Crawley Town on an impressive CV – and Chand admits that he’d not stand in his way should another top team come in for him.

He added: “Obviously Jamie has nothing to prove here, but the UCL Premier Division is a good league to get noticed in.

“You only have to look at the likes of Ryan Semple to see that stepping down isn’t the worst thing to do.”

The defender was scheduled to make his Holbeach debut in Saturday’s friendly with Oadby, but the game was called off due to a deluge of rain.

Another man pencilled in to play was striker Addie Staffieri, but his future remains unclear. Peterborough Northern Star and Blackstones are vying with the Tigers for his signature, but Chand has confirmed that he will feature in tonight’s Carter’s Park clash with Louth Town (7.45pm) – and hopes to get a decision after the final whistle.

Chand said: “Addie knows I need a decision from him and hopefully we’ll get some closure on that after the game. We want him.”

Holbeach will field two different teams in each half of tonight’s tussle, before Chand makes some tough calls on which players he’ll be retaining for the new season.

• HOLBEACH legend Bryan Stamp has sadly passed away. See Thursday’s Spalding Guardian for a tribute.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jamie Stevens (Spalding Guardian)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
I was one of them fans that see massive massive potential in stevens and with no disrespect to holbeach its taking some getting my head round how fast he has fallen

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
I thought the Fraudster was going to transfere him to Ipswich for a 100 grand a few years back!
http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/sport/other-local-sport/football_stevens_poised_for_record_transfer_to_ipswich_town_1_570403
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:38:07 PM by kingofnaves »

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
I thought the Fraudster was going to transfere him to Ipswich for a 100 grand a few years back!
http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/sport/other-local-sport/football_stevens_poised_for_record_transfer_to_ipswich_town_1_570403

Lets face it, Ipswich will never have heard of Stevens or have displayed anything other than a passing glance at the good performances of a talented youngster.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
Now then on the Stevens to Ipswich story I heard it was a spot on done and dusted deal but Evans threw a spanner in the works and wanted more cash out of the deal and then the deal fell through, a bit like Stevens progress since. I thought out of all the trailists he may of been the most likely to impress and get a contract.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:46:16 AM »
Thats very similar to what I heard too.

townender3385

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:12:28 AM »
I heard that it was pretty much a done deal but then Stevens found out he would go back to Crawley on loan and didn't want that so he rejected the offer

Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
I believe it was down to money for Stevens not staying this time.....