Author Topic: Chances for Tuesday  (Read 8687 times)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chances for Tuesday
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 06:53:27 AM »
As somebody who works on the land i think the calling off this game should have been left till morning, with the top of my garden already starting to soften and rain expected tonight and acu temps giving a plus temp for a change there was a chance that a thaw could have continued throu the night.

Just put the nags out, and there has been a thaw ovenight here just outside town...might've been worth a look this morning before calling it off as the club is in need of the cash. Roll on New Years Day!

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 07:47:33 AM »
Agree!

Monty

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »
I don't think it would have made much difference, I see Lincoln City have just called their match off even after using heated blowers on the pitch and a warmer night with heavy rain!

Nimrod

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »
It's no great shock to see yet another game postposted due to "health and safety".  Personally, I think it's about time the footballing whimps of today made a decision to firm up and become real men.  It's about time the "boys" threw away their ridiculous gloves, snoods, heated jock straps, frost detecting boots, boots with built in ABS, touchline drinks when they fancy one, chest protecting vests in case of the weather being a bit chilly, etc., etc.  Of course I accept it was the referee who was responsible for postposting the game and not the players.  I am not that old, but I can remember when the real men of football would use the orange ball so it could be seen against the backdrop of the frosted or snow covered pitch.  The lines were also painted in colour other than white for obvious reasons.  The whole concept of health and safety in spectator sport has gone mad.  Only recently, I recall a top level rugby game taking place behind closed doors because their was a little ice around the stadium.  It's just as well we have got the World Cup tournament coming to the UK.  A match would have been postposted and the entire ground placed in quarantine in the event that a seagull flew over and had a crap which then landed on the hallowed turf!  Rant over.  Looking forward to seeing you all on NYD (subject to having NO weather on that day!)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
Those who remember the game against Nuneaton a few seasons back, will know the dangers of playing on a frozen pitch - Ross Weatherstone ended up with several teeth through his cheek!

Nimrod

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 11:43:29 AM »
Injuries, whether sustained in the dry, the damp, the wet, the fog or otherwise are simply a part of the risks of playing football.  Statistic will prove that most broken limbs are the result of idiotic footballers still suffering from a hangover from previous nights exploits in the nightclubs.  Modern day footballers don't learn how to fall correctly in the event of a collision.  Most training is directed towards ballet dance manouevres when they take a dive as a result of a puff of wind from a passing sparrows bottom in the hope that a penalty may be fraudulently awarded.  Sad for Mr. Wetherstone, but it's a part of the game!

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »
well Guys having spent the day at work i may hav to eat my words a little, the land on top for a cm or 2 was very soft. but just under that it was rock hard as still remains that way, but having said that if your taking 2 cm ruts out why playing your doing summit wrong

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
well Guys having spent the day at work i may hav to eat my words a little, the land on top for a cm or 2 was very soft. but just under that it was rock hard as still remains that way, but having said that if your taking 2 cm ruts out why playing your doing summit wrong

Had a kick about with the lads this afternoon, no injuries sustained and we were taking out 3 cm ruts sliding in!
We are OK according to the Chestnuts, but, if this cold weather continues for the rest of the winter, then some non-league clubs could be put out of business due to Health & Safety.

cappo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 04:01:02 PM »
nimrod,it just proves how dangerous a icy pitch can actually be when a player a tough as rossi has to go of injured because of a fall.i think we all are disappointed about all the games that has been cancelled by the officials but probably understand that it has been pretty much unavoidable.by the way last time i looked we didnt get the world cup  :o
"till saturday comes"

Nimrod

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
Well done Cappo for spotting my deliberate mistake by replacing the word "didn't" with "did" in respect of the World Cup coming to the UK.  However, with a name like "Rossi", I would suggest such a nationality (Italien ?) invented the art of integrating ballet dancing into the game of football?  I do hope you received a spell checker for Xmas.  Having said that, your mistakes were probably as deliberate were my own! ;)